Transferring tech between deep ocean and space

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I have heard that we could use underwater long-term habitats to build experience for habitats on Mars and the Moon. Please list ways in which we can take such technology and use it for space. On a related question, let's reverse that. Can we take space tech and use it underwater?<br /><br />I think we should consider two levels to each side of both questions. We need to talk about small temporary habitats which would be used similar to ISS. However, we also should take the bigger long term picture into account and talk about communities where people would be born, live, and die at. One aspect of the later would be convincing people to call the habitat home. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

S

steve82

One of the obvious things is use of regenerative life support systems that recycle as much as possible. But one area where the underwater technology really shines is robust assembly equipment that can be banged around a lot and handled by people in suits using cranes. One complaint you hear a lot from people involved with EVA equipment and tools for astronauts is that all of the assembly chores they do are to such exacting tolerances with relatively fragile equipment that it would be nice to just have big fat bolts you could honk down and not worry as much about controlling torque to within a few inch-pounds.

W

willpittenger

Regarding weight of the underwater habitats: Weight is not an issue -- at least once you get it into the water. You float it to where you want it and sink it. Obviously, you need to build it on land. There, weight is a problem, but only a temporary one.<br /><br />With space, being overweight is a good way to get grounded. Just ask your favorite astronaut what they go through to remain active. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

B

bdewoody

As long as we are launching everything we use in space from earth weight will always be an issue. Every ounce of excess weight costs an ounce of some useable commodity.<br /><br />When we start using local material (on the moon or Mars) from what I.ve seen and read it will be easier to contruct a habitat that is relatively safe compared to what is needed at the bottom of the oceans.<br /><br />I would think that accidental rips in the skin will be a lot easier to deal with than leaks at the bottom of the ocean too.<br /><br />I watched a documentary on the Discovery channel about an underwater mission studying the Gulf Stream that happened at the same time as the Apollo 11 mission and they were having more difficulty than the astronaauts. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts