Transparent Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kdavis007

How usefull will Transparent Aluminum can be used for space travel??

Q

qso1

Transparent aluminum was just a technical projection of material used in Star Trek IV or V. As far as I know, no such thing actually exists so there is no way to know how useful it is. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

M

mlorrey

Aluminum Oxynitride is not metallic aluminum, it is an oxide/nitride ceramic: its like calling a sapphire "aluminum". Not quite.<br /><br />That being said, the article implies great possiblities for this material. I wonder what its thermal tolerance is compared to glass and quartz.

Q

qso1

Thanks for the link, it would appear that Star Trek inspired someone to research the idea and make it come true. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Hey, it's only a link to show where the story came from; nothing more. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

M

mcbethcg

"Thanks for the link, it would appear that Star Trek inspired someone to research the idea and make it come true. "<br /><br />Artificial saphire- aluminum oxide (transparent aluminum if you want) has been used for many years. The only new development is evidently that it is being made into large sheets.<br /><br />Many years ago, pre star trek useage, I used to work on postal mail sorting equipment. The cameras that view the stamps had artificial saphire glass shields that were about 2 inches by 2 inches, and could withstand millions of envelopes sliding across them with almost no wear.<br /><br />

T

tomnackid

Actually, practical fax machines have been around since the 30's. Back then they were mostly used by newspapers and were usually called "wire photo" machines. And the concept of sending an image by phone lines goes back to the invention of the telephone itself. Thomas Edison even pattented a device to send images of signatures over phone lines for use in banks. It wasn't until the deregulation of pone companies in the 80's that fax machines became available to the general public. (In the days of "Ma Bell" it was technically illegal to hook a fax machine--or even a modem!-- up to a regular phone line without permission.)

C

centsworth_II

<font color="yellow">"...Rolex watch..."</font><br /><br />I knew it!!! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.