Trapping the light

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lukman

Just curious, and sound stupid.<br />If we direct a light source, say a torch, to a mirror, the light will be reflected. My question: Does the mirror return the light 100% or some of the light pass through it? Or say if the mirror really 100% return the light, is it possible to trap the light in a room made of mirror (maybe sphere shape) then we turn the light on and then the light will bounce around infinitely, even after we turn off the light source and the room is still bright cos the light is still there bouncing around, is it true? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

SpeedFreek

I'm not sure how to answer the question properly, but I will say that I don't think we have invented a mirror that can reflect 100% of the light hitting it.<br /><br />Also, in order to see the light in the room (and thus test whether the light is still there!) we would have to observe the light somehow, and this would cause the light to be absorbed by the observer (i.e. a light sensor or an eye-ball).<br /><br />You cannot see light unless it is entering your eye and being absorbed by your retina. So maybe the act of viewing the light in the room would remove all the light? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000">_______________________________________________<br /></font><font size="2"><em>SpeedFreek</em></font> </p> </div>

L

lukman

I thought so,i was just not too certain, thank you for the information <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts