Trying to find a particular Mars surface image

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

Several years ago when I was first logging into SDC I saw some surface images of Mars of an area that looked like three corners of the foundation of a structure with perfect 90 degree corners. Since then I have been unable to find those specific images. Does anyone else remember the images and if so where to find them. I'm curious as to whether any higher resolution images have been obtained to determine the origin of this feature.

G

Gravity_Ray

certainly does appear to be a structure with 90 degree corners... Is the post still around Yevaud? I'd like to read it and see what everybody thought?

B

bdewoody

Yes I think that is the one. It still looks like a foundation to me. So has there been any further investigation? I'd sure like to send a rover there.

G

Gravity_Ray

:lol:

Even 4 years ago the discussions just get crazy when it’s about artifacts on Mars.

Anyway, I looked at it hard, and right away I don’t think its any kind of "foundation". It’s too big. It’s Not very straight looking. To me it looks like a small plateau with some wind erosion. The corners are 90 degrees which is unusual in nature but not unheard of.

Most things that catch our eyes catch them because we have eyes attached to a brain and we tend to see familiar objects in everything.

Move along... These are not the droids we are looking for.

Y

yevaud

Gravity_Ray":3od59ajd said:
:lol:

Even 4 years ago the discussions just get crazy when it’s about artifacts on Mars.

I remember the discussion well. It took several months of psychotherapy to recover. :lol:

Thanks Yevaud for the link,

I too have taken a close look & I agree with Gravity_Ray that it is a natural feature & as Gravity_Ray correctly says, right angles are very rare in nature but not unheard of (Iron Pryrites anyone).

This IS an interesting feature if nothing else to determine it's history. It is certainly an ancient eroded ridge or mesa, perhaps following an ancient thrust fault, that is now largely buried under the dust.

I will try & get the co-ordinates & suggest this to the MRO HiRISE team (they've accepted all five of my own suggestions thus far & two further joint requests I was part of), thugh the MGS MOC has already returned a superbly clear view, but I can try.

Thank You to bdewoody though for the reminder about this curious feature (I agree it IS unusual, but it is natural & IS worthy of following up). I would like to help if possible.

Andrew Brown.

B

bdewoody

Well I guess then I have stirred a little interest again. Good.

Hi bdewoody,

It is good, very good in fact, I like that as well as most others here.

It was a perfectly sensible thing to ask about, it looks unusual, which it is, but it does look 100% natural, but IS worthy of further investigation regarding Martian Geological processes.

I will try & obtain the co-ordinates & will ask the MRO HiRISE team to look at it with maximum resolution.

Andrew Brown.

B

bdewoody

Yeah, it's about time we got some decent intelligent discussions going on in here again.

Y

yevaud

Ah, there's a major caveat to that. Those discussions will attract the "this is an artificial structure, RCH says so" ilk. Invariably, we'd have to move it to Unexplained. Possibly initiate the discussion there.

Trust me - I have past experience on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts