TV/video streaming takes off - possible HULU IPO

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Long NetFlix and Hulu (original) users we recently were invited to test Hulu Plus, which has a lot of new movies and network content (though being new the list is far from NetFlix's). We've been very pleased and expect our Sony BR decks plugins to soon include one for Hulu Plus to go along with NetFlix, Amazon PPV and the other services it can stream.

Pluses are that both NetFlix and Hulu Plus are signing deals left and right with movie and TV studios for early access to their newer productions, a total reversal from a year ago when all the streaming sites got were outdated and some TV content. Seems they got wind of the skyrocketing viewership at both - especially in light of connected TV's and BR decks.

Cable/satellite who? With all the major content appearing on streaming providers, including HD, that won't be long coming as producers and viewers wouldn't mind one bit cutting out expensive middlemen.

How much do we use Hulu Plus and NetFlix streaming? Our 12 year old just spent the last few weeks watching every single episode of Doctor Who, going all the way back to the 1960's.

Link....

Hulu Is Said to Be Ready for an I.P.O.

By ANDREW ROSS SORKIN and MICHAEL J. de la MERCED
Published: August 16, 2010

Hulu, the rapidly growing hub for online television and movies, aims to go public through an offering that could value the company at more than $2 billion, according to people briefed on the matter.

In recent weeks, Hulu executives have begun talking to investment banks about pursuing an initial public offering as soon as this fall, these people said. These people were granted anonymity because the discussions are still private.

Such a move would be one of the most prominent media offerings this year, building off its success in streaming popular shows like “Glee” and “Modern Family.”
>
It plans to add a $9.99-a-month subscription service soon alongside its core advertising-supported business. Analysts say the move could build up its strengths against rival video-streaming services like Netflix and a rumored update to Apple TV from Apple.

An offering would be among the most significant developments for Hulu in its three-year history. Founded as a joint venture of the News Corporation, the Walt Disney Company, NBC Universal and the private equity firm Providence Equity Partners, Hulu aimed to be a counterweight to YouTube and other free video sites.
>

A

a_lost_packet_

This has been coming since Hulu's inception.

The problem was trying to figure out a working business model. Hulu's original problem was wanting to provide free content while still remaining profitable. They wanted to stay away from a pay-to-play model and just use advertising support. That did not work well enough at first. Though, I think it was last year when it began to show some signs of improving. Though, still not enough to make them a viable contender alone.

But, after they linked up with people like Comcast and then the movie biz, solidified some relationships and then figured out how to provide the streaming services they'd need to be able to substantiate some sort of charges, everything was set and things looked a bit prettier.

I'm not sure it's going to bust Netflix, though. But, as I see it, they're different types of providers from what I know. So, it's a nice addition, if they can make it work. I hope they can. I've used Hulu in the past couple of months more than I've used my free On Demand programming.

Note: Hulu's possible "Win" situation can also be some of its Indy programming. Some of those mini-movies and series are pretty decent. If they can work out that model and end up getting a good stock of Indy programming, they'll have a lock on fans for it. Sure, it won't be huge. But, every bit helps and variety is the spice of life.

D

dragon04

NBC, and News Corp (Vlad's buddy Rupert) own about equal shares in Hulu. Disney owns some of Hulu as well. Comcast and NBC are headed towards merger. Should be a done deal by the end of the year.

Just so everyone knows who they're cheering for. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts