universe expanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marrauder

...one thing i cant explain to my self! If the Universe is 13.5 billion years old because we know that the light should travel so long to come to us.How is then possible that the matter in the universe have make also the same distances.How old the universe must then be if the matter is 13.5 billions years away from us and how much time the matter needs to make the same distances like the light.The universe must be older or i make anywhere a big mistake?
Thank you!

B

BurgerB75

It's hard to wrap your head around it, that's for sure.

S

SpeedFreek

Actually, and I hate to say this, but that Space.com article is wrong - the reporter misunderstood what Neil Cornish meant. The Observable Universe is theoretically around 46.5 billion light-years in radius, giving it a diameter of 93 billion light-years. Neil Cornish and his team used a method of comparative analysis with the WMAP data to show that the diameter of universe has to be at least 78 billion light-years, which is in accordance with the theory, but his figure has been misinterpreted as a radius in that article and erroneously doubled!

And of course, everyone is welcome to post the link in my signature, the more the merrier! :D

C

captdude

Matter was "moved" to the far side of the observable universe during the inflationary period of the early universe and by the expansion of the universe that occured later on and continues to this day. It did not "travel there" by moving at great velocity as you seem to suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts