Unusual Object Seen from Puerto Pico

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smooth25

Hello I never posted on here and this is the first time visiting this site. I am posting because I have been searching the internet since Wednesday to get some info. I was in the west coast of Puerto Rico and my son yelled out the he sees a shooting star. Now im not an astronomer or anything but I dont think it was a shooting star and I didnt have a chance to film it. It seemed to be in the atmosphere and it had a round shape with an orange tail. It traveled fast through the sky but not shooting star speed. It went from east to west and dissapeared in the clouds. I got a good 6 seconds to watch it. It did not seem to be descending either. It traveled across the sky. I read the NASA report on the unknown object but I watched the film on it and this object was different and way closer. Maybe it was just a shooting star that was closer than I ever seen before. I usually just see them for a second before they dissapear. Anybody know what this could be? Thanks.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Interesting "asteroid" 2010 AL30 close approach. Poss Rocket

Welcome to Space.com.

This really doesn't belong in this discussion, so I will move it to the Ask the Astronomer forum with the title "Unusual Object seen in Puerto Rico".

It sounds like a very bright meteor called a bolide or fireball.

Wayne

R

robnissen

smooth25":1bz49433 said:
I am posting because I have been searching the internet since Wednesday to get some info. I was in the west coast of Puerto Rico and my son yelled out the he sees a shooting star. .
Considering that you were on the west coast of Puerto Rico, if you saw the item on Tuesday, Jan. 12, I wonder if you may have seem something related to the Haitain earthquake? I have no idea what that could have been, however.

S

smooth25

robnissen":338hyxep said:
smooth25":338hyxep said:
I am posting because I have been searching the internet since Wednesday to get some info. I was in the west coast of Puerto Rico and my son yelled out the he sees a shooting star. .
Considering that you were on the west coast of Puerto Rico, if you saw the item on Tuesday, Jan. 12, I wonder if you may have seem something related to the Haitain earthquake? I have no idea what that could have been, however.

I saw the object the day after the earthquake. Although, it was heading in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts