Urine recycler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aphh

<p>Not being familiar with chemistry and human biology, is urine a biologically formed chemical composition or is it just a mixture of various elements?</p><p>The urine recycler seems very bulky and cumbersome device, which means the process requires mechanical separation of elements.</p><p>Is the separation process done on molecular level or just separating elements from a mixture? Could it be done all chemically instead of mechanically + chemically?</p><p>Bottom line of the question, do we really need 2 racks filled with equipment to do this?&nbsp;</p>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Not being familiar with chemistry and human biology, is urine a biologically formed chemical composition or is it just a mixture of various elements?The urine recycler seems very bulky and cumbersome device, which means the process requires mechanical separation of elements.Is the separation process done on molecular level or just separating elements from a mixture? Could it be done all chemically instead of mechanically + chemically?Bottom line of the question, do we really need 2 racks filled with equipment to do this?&nbsp; <br />Posted by aphh</DIV></p><p>Urine is a solution of a lot of stuff in water. I don't know how the system on the space station works.&nbsp; In principle you ought to be able to extract pure water by distillation.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have seen a rather brief discussion of the system that indicates that the urine is in&nbsp;distilled. &nbsp;<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

vattas

<p>It should be distilling.</p><p>The problem with distilling process in 0G is that it requires centrifuge to create artificial gravity as oposed to few or none moving parts in 1G. This adds complexity to the device and more failure modes.</p><p>I wonder if this urine recycler is designed to use the heat from station electronics that was previously routed directly to radiator? As I understand it should be connected to station heating/cooling system anyway, so why not reuse waste heat to warm up the liquid to be distilled? </p>

W

webtaz99

I believe that a lot of the space in the 2 racks are instruments to monitor the process and analyze the results. This is a working prototype, not a well-developed commercial product. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It should be distilling.The problem with distilling process in 0G is that it requires centrifuge to create artificial gravity as oposed to few or none moving parts in 1G. This adds complexity to the device and more failure modes.I wonder if this urine recycler is designed to use the heat from station electronics that was previously routed directly to radiator? As I understand it should be connected to station heating/cooling system anyway, so why not reuse waste heat to warm up the liquid to be distilled? <br />Posted by vattas</DIV></p><p>The first step in the process is to distill the urine in a at low pressure inorder to reduce the boilling point.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tampaDreamer

This is an example of valuable technology being vetted on the ISS.&nbsp; Often those in favor of human exploration deplore the ISS as "stuck in orbit".&nbsp; We need to keep testing these technologies there so that they are smaller, more efficient, and trustworthy for the journey to mars. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This is an example of valuable technology being vetted on the ISS.&nbsp; Often those in favor of human exploration deplore the ISS as "stuck in orbit".&nbsp; We need to keep testing these technologies there so that they are smaller, more efficient, and trustworthy for the journey to mars. <br /> Posted by tampaDreamer</DIV></p><p>I fully agree, I just thought that maybe this technology was refined already and condensed down to a suitcase scale. This is very interesting technology with obvious useful applications in many areas.&nbsp;</p>

K

kelvinzero

<p>Btw, one significant component of urine is urea</p><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea</p><p>Quite a useful chemical and also contains a lot of nitrogen: one of the vital elements for life basically missing from the moon.</p><p>Im sure in the future we will all be able to wee straight into our hyperintelligent trousers but that is just something we will have to look forward to ;)</p>

N

neilsox

Trace chemicals in vacuum&nbsp;distilled urine give it a slight oder and taste, not objectional to some people nor dangerous, after strilization. It depends on the quality desired, and energy available. Small suit case size is likely possible.&nbsp;&nbsp; Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.