US carbon emissions plunge—not just because of lousy economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drwayne

The Department of Energy has run the numbers on US carbon emissions in 2009, and found they dropped by about seven percent compared to the previous year, the largest decline the agency has ever seen. Although the economic downturn had been expected to lower emissions, the slowdown in GDP only accounted for about a third of the change. Greater efficiencies, less-energy-intensive activities, and a shift away from coal use accounted for the rest. The numbers haven't been this low since the mid-1990s and, even adjusting for the economy, take us a substantial distance towards President Obama's goal of cutting emissions to 17 percent below 2005 levels by the end of the decade.

Rest of the story:

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 ... conomy.ars

D

drwayne

In a humorous note (as in laughing at me), I wasn't quite sure where I wanted to post this...

S

silylene

And it plunged without us signing the Kyoto Protocols, or the Copenhagen treaty. My, my.

B

bdewoody

And I read that although the ozone hole over antartica is shrinking the increase in ozone may contribute to GW. When are they going to admit they really don't have a clue. Trying to legislate fixes for climate change to me is like watching a dog chase his tail.

M

MasterComposter

drwayne":124cc97y said:
The Department of Energy has run the numbers on US carbon emissions in 2009, and found they dropped by about seven percent compared to the previous year, the largest decline the agency has ever seen. Although the economic downturn had been expected to lower emissions, the slowdown in GDP only accounted for about a third of the change.

Waiting for someone to jump in and claim that it was the other way around --- the decrease in carbon emissions actually CAUSED the recession.

D

dragon04

silylene":26ho5265 said:
And it plunged without us signing the Kyoto Protocols, or the Copenhagen treaty. My, my.

Imagine that. And it didn't cost Americans a single penny in taxes or higher energy bills due to "cap and trade". I think most people are more "energy-conscious" when they purchase vehicles, appliances, tools, etc, as well as CF and LED lighting.

In my personal case, my home has been lit with CF bulbs for about 3 years now. Between that and not wasting electricity, I've seen about a 16% annual reduction in my electric bill due to decreased consumption. Works out to about $400 over the last 3 years and the kicker is that I'm still using the same CF bulbs I bought originally, so I've saved a tidy sum in light bulbs as well.

Win-Win.

S

StarRider1701

silylene":7xlh3gqu said:

Now if we can only talk the idiot Politicians out of the Cap & Trade disaster we'll be in great shape!

BTW, I've had some flourescent light bulbs in my house for many years. I bought 3 that were made to screw into ceiling type light fixtures back in around 1997 or 98. The one over my kitchen sink just burned out a few weeks ago, the other two are still going strong! They don't make 'em like that any more! For real, they were a totally different shape from the spiral lights we have these days.

Z

ZenGalacticore

drwayne":1urqwodz said:
In a humorous note (as in laughing at me), I wasn't quite sure where I wanted to post this...

Understandable. God (or whatever, the "force" of the universe) forbid that anyone establishes a serious thread in "Free Space".

K

Kerberos

I take credit for much of the drop. My wife's gas-guzzling Corvette has been dormant much of this year.

M

MasterComposter

StarRider1701":3j2rjrbs said:
silylene":3j2rjrbs said:

Now if we can only talk the idiot Politicians out of the Cap & Trade disaster we'll be in great shape!

On the other hand, if Cap and Trade were in effect, those industries that were respoosible for any portion of the drop in carbon pollution would now have a valuable credit to trade. As it is, they miss out on making any money on their increased efficiency. Too bad guys, but thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts