Various images I have just taken.

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrenalynn

Can I play too?

I don't shoot the moon much, but just for fun I thought I'd use one of these little SD1100 pocket cameras I picked-up for our balloon and shoot projection from one eyepiece on my binoculars (Celestron 20x100).

Manual mode, -2/3 stop exposure, ISO-200, 1/60th, 128mm equiv. Spot metering, auto white balance. This was just handheld, and this is about as manual as I can get with this camera. Seeing was pretty poor, quite a bit of high clouds around the moon.

I picked up a handful of these cameras used for ~$80ea. (8mpixel, optical IS, only about 5 oz / 140 gr)

moon-little-camera.jpg

O

orionrider

binoculars (Celestron 20x100)

OMG! You mean 20x100? :eek:
That must be like sticking a telescope in each eye :shock: The view must be, like, totally INSANE...
Now adrenalynn, you've made me really, really jealous! :?
;)

Edit: Back to business... Especially for the Moon lovers, here is the last shot taken on sept 22:

14867-1285791447.jpg

A

adrenalynn

Nothing to be envious of! That's obviously a hugely better photo, from a much better camera. I was just playing with the cheap little pocket camera.

Yes, the binoculars are really nice and bright, but you know you can get Celestron 25x80's for ~$100, right?

I like the 100's because they have a bit more light gathering and a little larger exit pupil, but I bought some 25x80's for a friend of mine and they're _fantastic_ for the money. (A tripod is a must for either, though. The 25x80's are like 6lb ++)

E

EarthlingX

This might not be the best thread, but i have to spam :roll:

Nancy Atkinson's report from
www.nancyatkinson.com : Astronomy Photographer of the Year and the Royal Observatory in Greenwich (I was there!)
October 6th, 2010 by Nancy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_t_rCw04s[/youtube]

As I wrote in a recent article on Universe Today: “The Royal Observatory Greenwich in the UK was the perfect setting to announce the winners of this year’s Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition, and I was privileged to be in attendance at the ceremony…”

Yes, I was really in London and was invited to Greenwich and the Royal Observatory for the Astronomy Photographer of the Year awards ceremony in September! The video above is from Will Gater and the BBC Sky and Night Magazine, and as evidence that I was really there, at :59 seconds into the video, you’ll see me hob-nobbing with astronomers and folks from the observatory and museum complex.

View from Maritime museum looking up towards the Royal Observatory Greenwich.

Again, standing on the Prime Meridian.

O

orionrider

Earthling, how does it feel to stand right on the line? :lol:
I suppose the fancy cupolas and vintage instruments in the observatory are useless these days, with the light pollution in the London area. :(

It's my turn to spam. :mrgreen:
Here is my first attempt at digiscopy; there was exceptionnal 'seeing' on oct. 11. Nikon Coolpix in video mode, 640x480, 30fps. 8mm TMB eyepiece on SkyWatcher 130/900. Processed with Registax and Photoshop:

14867-1286867119.jpg

Larger image here: http://www.webastro.net/upload/images/1 ... 867062.jpg

Love your jupiter image orionrider, The Great Red Spot more or less on the meridian in Jupiter's southern hemisphere. When was that taken? I will try & identify which of the Galileans is on your picture.

Friday 22nd October 2010.

Moon, Halo & Jupiter, just taken by me. Clickable thumbnails to full sized images.

Ashford, Kent, United Kingdom. All times are UTC / GMT, not CET / BST.

Andrew Brown.

O

orionrider

Thanks Andrew, and thank you for the 'Moon halo' series. You can just make out the Jovian sats in line on one :)

This was in fact taken on oct 8 at 23:35 UT. The satellite should be Io. The whole thing is upside-down. North is at the bottom.

Here is the next one ;)

M33 is a faint but large object in the Triangulum constellation. It is hard to find, even with small binoculars and relatively dark skies. I could barely see it in the telescope but it turned out OK on the pictures (60sec of shutter time, 30 images stacked). The pink color in the arms comes from regions of intense star formation.

14867-1287236308.jpg

Thought I would put these here, rather than Free Space.

Lunch Time today early Afternoon, noticed this when I popped out. I almost expected it as it was sunny & also there were very thin high ice cirroform clouds, some may be streaked high altitude Passenger Jet contrails.

In the UK, these are quite rare, yet this is the second decent one I've seen since September.

Circumzenithal Arc, AKA Smile in the Sky.

Ashford, Kent, United Kingdom. All times are UTC / GMT. Date Format: DY/MT/YEAR.

Clickable thumbnails to full size images.

Andrew Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts