VASIMR Discussions

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

csmyth3025

dryson":2d9b719f said:
I was reading in another post that heat was an issue...
Dryson,
You don't seem to be devoting much time to researching the operating principles of the Vasimr concept. Yes, heat is an issue - and heat is a necessary component of the high efficiency (Isp) of the Vasimr. Please study the article on the Ad Astra Rocket Company's Vasimr VX-200 prototype which can be found here:
http://spacefellowship.com/news/art24083/vasimr-vx-200-meets-full-power-efficiency-milestone.html

Since our experience with you to date is that you either wont read this article , or you wont be able to understand it, I'll provide the pertinent section here:
The Technology

VASIMR® works with plasma, a very hot gas, at temperatures close to the interior of the Sun. Plasmas are electrically charged fluids that can be heated to extreme temperatures by radio waves and controlled and guided by strong magnetic fields. The magnetic field also insulates any nearby structure, so temperatures well beyond the melting point of materials can be achieved and the resulting plasma can be harnessed to produce propulsion. In rocket propulsion, the higher the temperature of the exhaust gases, the higher their velocity and hence the higher their fuel efficiency. Plasma rockets feature exhaust velocities far above those achievable by their chemical cousins, so their fuel consumption is extremely low.
I've put the most important point in bold letters. Vasimr produces a very high temperature plasma exhaust in order to produce higher fuel efficiency (essentially, Isp). A cooler exhaust will produce a less "fuel efficient" propulsion system.

PLEASE RESEARCH HOW THESE THINGS WORK BEFORE MAKING SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE THEM WORK BETTER!

Chris

M

MeteorWayne

As you said, previous experience. He has the same problem with the physics of the real Universe :)

D

dryson

Still playing God in your personally related world of projecting your thoughts into another person again?

I've put the most important point in bold letters. Vasimr produces a very high temperature plasma exhaust in order to produce higher fuel efficiency (essentially, Isp). A cooler exhaust will produce a less "fuel efficient" propulsion system.

I know that the higher temperatures create the necessary pressurized quick release of energy that causes the engine to propell the ship forward.

Obviously there is wasted fuel in the very the process of using radio waves that heats the plasma that then causes the release of energy that propell's the ship forward.

If the radio waves that are being used are emitted in a layered effect where maybe every two or three layers of emitted radio waves are sent intermitently instead of continously then it might be possible that some of the plasma that is burnt off in the process of actually heating the plasma might be saved and that would yield a higher thrust to fuel ratio.

C

csmyth3025

dryson":vi7v4x8d said:
Still playing God in your personally related world of projecting your thoughts into another person again?

...If the radio waves that are being used are emitted in a layered effect where maybe every two or three layers of emitted radio waves are sent intermitently instead of continously then it might be possible that some of the plasma that is burnt off in the process of actually heating the plasma might be saved and that would yield a higher thrust to fuel ratio.
First, as I'm sure MW will point out, ad hominem commentary isn't permitted in this forum - even if it doesn't make any sense. Since I know that such commentary has been directed towards you, I might add that such commentary isn't permitted - even when it's well earned. The appropriate response is to ignore posts that are just "made up", except when they attempt to highjack a legitimate thread into complete nonsense. If you continue to do this, your comments will continue to be criticized.

Second, plasma isn't "...burnt off in the process of actually heating the plasma...". Please read at least one or two of the many links provided to you on the Vasimr propulsion system. Having a basic understanding of how this technology works will hopefully let you avoid embarrasingly ignorant statements like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts