Velikovsky

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zavvy

<font color="yellow">Thanks for confirming that you choose to remain willfully ignorant. You must, or else you, too, could see how ridiculous Velikovsky's theories are.</font><br /><br />And now insults...<br /><br />You really disappoint me, Eddie...

C

CalliArcale

In an effort to bring this back into amicable discussion....<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Ten years ago I watched Shoemaker-Levy slam into Jupiter, a gas giant, and read all the nervous predictions from scientists about what might happen as a result of this and other cometary impacts. Nobody knew. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />I watched it too. It was quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever seen through a telescope and I will never forget those eerie black holes punched in Jupiter's cloud deck. There was a lot of speculation at the time about what it would do to Jupiter's complex storm systems, but it did surprisingly little. Before long, there wasn't any hint that SL-9 had ever hit Jupiter. But man, that was a haunting thing to see.<br /><br />I'm just curious, though. Did you bring that up to suggest that Velikovsky could have been right about Venus coming out of Jupiter? Because I think what SL-9's impact really showed is that it's not likely at all for something to hit Jupiter and cause something the size of Venus to come out. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

silylene old

This really belongs in the science fiction forum. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts