Venus through a Telescope

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Speedy6

Hi I have a Meade ETX-80 Telescope, and I tried looking at Venus through it (which is really bright in the sky), but it always looks like a big ball of fire though my telescope. Is it supposed to look that way through a telescope?

M

MeteorWayne

Well, a few thoughts come to mind. First, since Venus is so bright, the best time to look is just after sunset, as soon as you can find it, for 2 reasons. First, with the brighter sky, there's less contrast, this will help you see the shape. Second, it's higher in the sky right after sunset, so the sky is steadier.

Also, right now, Venus is still fairly round. It's 87% illuminated, so it's hard to tell it's not just a rpound disk. By the end of June, it will be only 71% illuminated, so it will be easier to see a shape...also it will increase in size by about 30% in that time. By July it will grow even bigger and become crescent shaped.

C

crazyeddie

Speedy6":3a7dbkqb said:
Hi I have a Meade ETX-80 Telescope, and I tried looking at Venus through it (which is really bright in the sky), but it always looks like a big ball of fire though my telescope. Is it supposed to look that way through a telescope?

Venus shows almost no discernible detail in a telescope, unless you use certain filters. The most interesting thing about this planet, visually, is it's phases, and changes in angular diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts