very bright object in sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bmoon

Last night on april 29th 2010 i was out on my deck,i was gonna check out the space station cruising over,when i noticed a really bright star/planet in the it looked north/north north west sky,very low in the horizon,at first i thought it was headlights on a plane,but it never moved at all,and was the brightest star/planet i have ever seen,it kinda freaked me out as i never have seen it,anyclue what it is?

M

MeteorWayne

Venus

It is currently magnitude -3.9, the brightest object in the sky (for more than a few seconds) other than the sun or moon.

M

MeteorWayne

Insanely bright? No, not really for Venus. It will continue to get brighter into July.

B

bmoon

maybe it looked so bright because it was clear as could be,either way it is impressive to the naked eye

M

MeteorWayne

Like I said, it's not unusual for Venus to be that bright. You must just never have noticed it before. Welcome to Space.com!

Wayne

B

bmoon

I have been coming on here for a long time now,i guess i was just sleeping at that angle of the sky haha.

E

E_KJ

Its not Venus, its the space station. The solar arrays are out now. Second brightest thing in the sky. Second only to the moon. Way brighter than Venus.

M

MeteorWayne

You didn't read his post. He saw the space station, the object he referred to was not moving...it was Venus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS