Virgin Galactic launches Richard Branson to space in 1st fully crewed flight of VSS Unity

Jul 12, 2021
Visit site
I think it's a damn shame that Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites didn't get a single mention at this event. Listening to Branson turn this into something he has worked 70 years to accomplish and this was a total Banson derived achievement was absolutely nauseating. And the sight of a real astronaut pinning astronaut wings onto the passengers of this flight made me want to stick my fingers down my throat. How disrespectful to those who have spent their lives Earning the right to be astronauts and fly in space. Now you just have to have a few bucks to "join" that dedicated group of explorers.

Jul 12, 2021
Visit site
Jul 12, 2021
Visit site
Todd1, you make an important point.

Cat! We need a new term for tourist-astronaut. "Tastronaut", however, would only work for American tourists, so it's naut quite right.
How about simply Space Tourist? There is no reason to attach any "special-ness" beyond that for somebody who simply bought a ticket.

Jul 12, 2021
Visit site
Very exciting, however, why did RB (or SRB) wear his sunglasses for the whole flight? That would have diminished his view of the earth. I thought that kind of odd.
I thought it even "odder" and most disrespectful that the designer and build team of the vehicle, who had accomplished that before Branson came along, didn't get any mention. Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites, winners of the X-Prize, without Branson.

Reactions: tmash
Apr 23, 2021
Visit site
very interesting question as to what to call the space tourist and actually "space tourist" is probably the best name .But if you want to spice it up a bit how about" Amtronauts" since astronaut means "star sailor" this would mean" amateur astronaut"

Apr 23, 2021
Visit site
I thought it even "odder" and most disrespectful that the designer and build team of the vehicle, who had accomplished that before Branson came along, didn't get any mention. Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites, winners of the X-Prize, without Branson.
Yes, thanks for reminding us! I had forgotten that Burt Rutan designed the Virgin Galactic Starship concept .Rutan is a very innovative aircraft designer for sure!

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
All the exceptional attention given to these private rocketry excursions into "space" is a charade. Going up to a mere 50 or 60 miles is less than one hundred of a gazillionths part of the nearest galaxy, NOTHING. Secondly these are nothing more than some rich boys toys having nothing else to do, except Elon Musk and perhaps Jeff Bezos placing hundreds of small satellites into orbit allowing for IT at very remote areas as they claim; alright but now who will pay for the millions of dishes and photovoltaic panels to receive the signals? just tell me. These filthy billonaires should take a clue from Bill Gates who has already given away 30-40 BILLIONS TO VERY HUMANE AND VERY PRACTICAL CAUSES. THERE!!! As for Bransons claim that his feat is making space tourism available to the masses....... . How many people can splurge ONE QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS FOR A FEW MINUTES UP IN THE AIR............ makes me feel like vomiting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts