Visualizing the Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wmdragon

I'm reading Greg Bear's Eon and I'm having trouble visualizing some of the descriptions of the Stone. not the basic structure, I get that, but the more detailed parts. is there any graphic art out there based on this novel? quick Googling didnt return anything for me. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

D

docm

I only have one pic of Thistledown; <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

etavaunt

I had the same problem, I couldn't for the life of me, follow his descriptions. I couldn't make a mental image, head nor tails, of the place.<br />Even the simple stuff at the beginning.

B

bobw

There was a contest about it. Winners can be found at the "next page" link at the bottom, just above the ad. The last page has a link to View All EON CGChallenge Entries. When I watch a movie about a book I have read it never looks like I imagined it, my memories are always better!<br /><br />This 4th place winner in the 3-D category is very different from the one docm posted. Greg seems to like it. <i>Greg Bear: “Wonderful rendering of possible architectural elements in the Stone. Good sense of Way dynamics.â€</i><br /><br />http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3987<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

Forgot the picture. <br /><br />Edit: docm's picture was also an entry in the contest by Tibor Bedats <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

etavaunt

*jaw drops open*<br /><br />How the hell did someone do that!. They made a trailer for Eon the Movie!.<br /><br />You guys simply have to see this for yourselves.<br /><br />I am just *Adjective anglo saxon* AMAZED <br /><br />!<br /><br /><br />

D

docm

There is a whole community of 3D'ers & videographers out there that do nothing but that kind of thing, and very often with a mix of live action (friends, community theater types etc.) and CG. Our studio lab has 8 systems; 3 of them set up for CG and video, 1 for multi-track audio and 4 video only. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

wmdragon

thanks bobw and docm. very cool. I did find one of those websites after posting this, but it had only 2D artwork. your links have so much more.<br /><br />alas, I cannot be satisfied, since I havent finished the novel and I can tell some of the artwork, animation and movies will spoil it for me (they sort of did already). my wife also had trouble with the physical descriptions. I still cant picture the junction of the plasma tube and the seventh chamber cap. oh well. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts