Water on the Moon?

• Thread starter cgstarling@yahoo.com
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cgstarling@yahoo.com

I believe I have heard some time in the past that there is a high chance that there was water on the moon, at the polar caps, and that this water might one day be made available for use (i.e., by astronauts working there).

Is this true or is another case of my mistaken memory?

M

MeteorWayne

That is correct. You should look in the extensive LRO/LCROSS topic in Missions and Launches for the latest information. The whole purpose of the LCROSS prt of the mission is to impact a crater near the south pole to liberate some water to be analyzed; that impact will occur on October 9th.

LRO also has numerous instruments that are examining this in great detail, and will do so in greater detail once the science mission begins shortly.

The latest information is of course at the end of the thread.

Wayne

I'll put a link to that topic here in a moment:

Here 'tis:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=753&start=180

C

cgstarling@yahoo.com

That's a much more helpful reply than I was expecting. If only everyone could be so generous w/ their knowledge. Thanks, Wayne.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the results of the tests after Oct.9

cgStarling

M

MeteorWayne

I don't know why you wouldn't expect a helpful reply :)

We do the best we can.

There are a few "people" that make fun of serious questions here in Ask the Astronomer, but I never do. I take them seriously, and always try and provide the best answer possible. As do most who respond here.

Since the most current information relating to your question will be in the LRO/LCROSS topic in M&L, or a topic in Space Science and Astronomy, I will close this thread for now and let you post your comments and quations there.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.