WAVE/PARTICLE DUALITY

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacecadet11

Apparently...electrons have a wave/particle duality (behavior) at there level of existence...Question..what is the measured speed of this wave? I am guessing that it is less than the speed of light..but am I wrong?

I am sure it is very fast...but it suffers from some kind of a velocity degradation for some reason...I am guessing because of the particle's (oops..I meant wave's) inertia "in" space...is that correct?

Could wave phenomina in nature suffer some kind of inertia "in" or because of "space"? ...which I was shown recently..does not exist (has no material existence in and of itself) its just the backround in where things are said to move.

Thanks for any and all answers.
Bye.
SC

O

origin

Apparently...electrons have a wave/particle duality (behavior) at there level of existence...Question..what is the measured speed of this wave? I am guessing that it is less than the speed of light..but am I wrong?

You are not wrong, as a matter of fact an electron cannot travel at c - it is impossible. An electron can travel at any speed below the speed of light it all depends on the energy of the particle.

I am sure it is very fast...but it suffers from some kind of a velocity degradation for some reason...I am guessing because of the particle's (oops..I meant wave's) inertia "in" space...is that correct?

I don't know what you are asking here.

Could wave phenomina in nature suffer some kind of inertia "in" or because of "space"? ...which I was shown recently..does not exist (has no material existence in and of itself) its just the backround in where things are said to move.

Again I do not know what you are asking. If you are saying does space slow down waves the answer is no. Heck it does not even slow down matter, assuming the matter is always in a perfect vacuum (doesn't hit other particles).

Thanks for any and all answers.
Bye.
SC[/quote]

D

darkmatter4brains

spacecadet11":1sye1k4s said:

It's important to realize that one is usually talking about probability waves in quantum mechanics, which isn't quite the same thing as what we usually imagine as a wave. For example, the solution of the Schrodinger equation gives out a probability wave, whose absolute square is interpreted as the probability density for finding a particle at a given position, but it's only a probability. This is not the same kind of wave one gets from the wave equation of say electromagnetism that describes an oscillating energy field with a definite speed and position. In fact, it took some time for Max Born to even come up with the probability interpretation for the solution of the Schrodinger Wave equation. Nobody knew what to think of it for some time. There is still some contention to this day over whether or not the probability wave is a real wave, or just a mathematical tool to describe the behavior of matter which seems to exhibit something wave-like in its character.

So I guess my point is that it's important to realize that there are a lot of subtleties when talking about "matter" waves - subtleties that are often overlooked and ignored in a layman's description, which can be very misleading sometimes.

J

jgrtmp

You are missing what is being said about matter....
Under matter/ Antimatter annihilation for every electron that exists in the universe there is a positron. Likewise it can be assumed this applies to the higher order particles found in physics that an equal partical exist, or subparticals & lesser order accumulatives to that amount of energy. What it comes down to is that when an electron & a positron are fired at each other, they unite & totally convert in to a Gamma ray(divide a gamma rays energy/2=2 x electrons mass)divergently beamed away at the N & S polar spin of the annihilation point. There is no residual energies or particals- a total conversion. Thus all mass ultimately is a wave & all enegry waves are the combination of opposite masses. For a mass to exist it has to have an equal amount of antimatter out there somewhere. This answers the missing mass of the universe question, but where is it. Antimatter universes? Hidden antimatter components with in the core of our galaxy? There is a big void tio be filled by you who wonder about all this & aren't afraid of taking a few aspirin to figure it out.

M

Mee_n_Mac

jgrtmp":gdisrnt2 said:
You are missing what is being said about matter....
Under matter/ Antimatter annihilation for every electron that exists in the universe there is a positron.

Who says the above ? What I had learned was that after the BB, there were very nearly the same amount of antimatter as there was matter. It came in contact and mutually annihilated itself (? itselves ?). For some unknown reason there was some slight excess of matter, which is what we have leftover today. Are you saying that the was the same amount (post BB) and that the annihilation was not complete and hence we have large amounts of missing antimatter ?

And isn't this a different topic from the OP ?

S

Saiph

***Mod hat on***
Yeah, that's pretty off topic. You can discuss it, just not in this thread as it'd be considered 'hijacking' it with a heavily divergent subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.