Weather and launch failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woggles

I was reading this article and like to share. I learned something new about the STS 51-L Shuttle Challenger accident I didn't know before.

"The loss of the Space Shuttle Challenger during mission STS-51-L on January 28, 1986, is familiar to everyone to some extent. Lifting off after days of unusually cold temperatures, the vehicle suffered a small hot gas leak from the right solid rocket booster (SRB) at 0.45 seconds after ignition, a leak that sealed itself within a few seconds. Then, at T+40 seconds, the vehicle encountered the most severe turbulence of any shuttle mission up to that time, the result of high wind shear. The turbulence stressed the attach points for the struts that held the External Tank to the SRBs, which included the area of the liftoff hot gas leak. The hot gas leak was reopened at around T+58.7 seconds and spat a tongue of flame that cut through the SRB lower attach mount. Freed at the aft end, the right SRB rotated inward, crushing the nose of the External Tank at around T+66 seconds, resulting in a spectacular fireball and breakup of the vehicle. All seven members of the crew died when the remains of the shuttle hit the water."

For me I didn't know the high wind shear was one of the main culprits in the accident.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1662/1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts