January 28, 1986: STS-51L

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

<p>Today is the anniversary of the loss of Space Shuttle Challenger with all hands.&nbsp; The short version of the accident is this: cold weather reduced the flexibility of the o-rings between segments of the Solid Rocket Boosters.&nbsp; When the boosters naturally flexed, this allowed hot gasses to escape.&nbsp; The hot gasses acted like a blowtorch, melting through the External Tank and the SRB's aft attach strut.&nbsp; At T+0:01:13, this resulted in the ET rupturing, spilling its contents into the exhaust plume, which ignited.&nbsp; The entire vehicle was torn apart.&nbsp; Physical evidence suggests the crew were alive on impact (though there has been vigorous debate over whether or not they would have been conscious), but the impact itself was fatal.&nbsp; The Shuttle program was halted for two years while the accident was analyzed and corrective actions made.&nbsp; When it resumed, it was at a slower pace, and many of the old dreams of the STS program were shelved, some permanently, such as the polar orbit launch complex at Vandenburg's SLC-6.</p><p>The crew were commander Frank Scobee, Pilot Michael Smith, MS1 Judy Resnick, MS2 Ellison Onizuka, MS3 Ron McNair, PS1 Greg Jarvis, and PS2 (and teacher-in-space) Christa McAuliffe. </p><p>The payload (also lost) consisted primarily of TDRS-B (the second element of the TDRS constellation, used today for round-the-clock communication with shuttles and the ISS, eliminating the need for a complex network of ground tracking stations) and the Spartan-Halley free-floating experiment, intended to study Comet Halley and then be retrieved before the end of the mission. </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Today is the anniversary of the loss of Space Shuttle Challenger with all hands.&nbsp; The short version of the accident is this: cold weather reduced the flexibility of the o-rings between segments of the Solid Rocket Boosters.&nbsp; When the boosters naturally flexed, this allowed hot gasses to escape.&nbsp; The hot gasses acted like a blowtorch, melting through the External Tank and the SRB's aft attach strut.&nbsp; At T+0:01:13, this resulted in the ET rupturing, spilling its contents into the exhaust plume, which ignited.&nbsp; The entire vehicle was torn apart.&nbsp; Physical evidence suggests the crew were alive on impact (though there has been vigorous debate over whether or not they would have been conscious), but the impact itself was fatal.&nbsp; The Shuttle program was halted for two years while the accident was analyzed and corrective actions made.&nbsp; When it resumed, it was at a slower pace, and many of the old dreams of the STS program were shelved, some permanently, such as the polar orbit launch complex at Vandenburg's SLC-6.The crew were commander Frank Scobee, Pilot Michael Smith, MS1 Judy Resnick, MS2 Ellison Onizuka, MS3 Ron McNair, PS1 Greg Jarvis, and PS2 (and teacher-in-space) Christa McAuliffe. The payload (also lost) consisted primarily of TDRS-B (the second element of the TDRS constellation, used today for round-the-clock communication with shuttles and the ISS, eliminating the need for a complex network of ground tracking stations) and the Spartan-Halley free-floating experiment, intended to study Comet Halley and then be retrieved before the end of the mission. &nbsp; <br />Posted by CalliArcale</DIV></p><p>Scobee liked to be called Dick Scobee. He was a very nice guy to work with as was Ellison. I did not know the others very well</p><p>Dick and EL worked closely with us at KSC starting in 1978.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">Scobee liked to be called Dick Scobee. He was a very nice guy to work with as was Ellison. I did not know the others very wellDick and EL worked closely with us at KSC starting in 1978. <br /> Posted by shuttle_guy</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Hi shuttle_guy, it must be a real privilidge to have known two of the crew personally.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>IIRC was not the launch window of 51L very short due to the Comet 1P/Halley Spartan free flyer. Timing just had to be so, so that Halley's Comet would be well placed for observation, by said science satellite. Mind you I suppose TDRS B was also very time critical.<br /><br />23 years ago today, does'nt time fly when one has fun. Are the Challenger remains still stored in disused Minuteman silos, & where all pieces salvaged from the Atlantic????</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Regarding the crew, Challenger came apart at 14,000 metres / 46,000 feet above sea level. Assuming the flight deck was breached at that point, the crew would have passed out surely, there's so little atmosphere at that altitude, only approx 10% pressure as at sea levell barely 100 mb.</strong></font></p><p><strong><font size="3">51 L link here basic description.&nbsp;</font></strong></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

B

bpcooper

I think they had the maximum 2.5 hour window. They launched towards the end of it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

R

rocketwatcher2001

A beer held high for the crew of CHALLENGER STS-51L. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi shuttle_guy, it must be a real privilidge to have known two of the crew personally.IIRC was not the launch window of 51L very short due to the Comet 1P/Halley Spartan free flyer. Timing just had to be so, so that Halley's Comet would be well placed for observation, by said science satellite. Mind you I suppose TDRS B was also very time critical.23 years ago today, does'nt time fly when one has fun. Are the Challenger remains still stored in disused Minuteman silos, & where all pieces salvaged from the Atlantic????Regarding the crew, Challenger came apart at 14,000 metres / 46,000 feet above sea level. Assuming the flight deck was breached at that point, the crew would have passed out surely, there's so little atmosphere at that altitude, only approx 10% pressure as at sea levell barely 100 mb.51 L link here basic description.&nbsp;Andrew Brown.&nbsp; <br />Posted by 3488</DIV></p><p>A lot of the&nbsp;vehicle was recovered.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;&nbsp;The crew module did not come apart when the vehicle broke up. The cabin did start to vent to ambient pressure due to small breaches at some broken fluid connection but it would have taken a few min to get to a low pressure. The impact with the water was around 5 min after the vehicle broke up</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

Testing

<span class="post_header">Remembrance Day</span> <div class="entry"><p class="posted-top_blog">Posted on Jan 28, 2009 10:02:05 PM | Wayne Hale | 0&nbsp;Comments &nbsp;&nbsp; </p><dl class="previously"><dd class="summary"><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td><p><em>Luke 14:28&nbsp;</em> For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? </p><p>Proper program management requires careful attention to the projected and actual costs.&nbsp; From my experience I can verify that cost prediction is a difficult art.&nbsp; How can you estimate the cost for something that has never been built, which is unlike anything else which has ever been built or operated, and for which some parts have to be invented?</p><p>Yet, when proposing a program or a project, it is not enough to describe what it is you intend to do and what the possible benefits might be, but also you must describe the cost.</p><p>In our business, not all the costs are financial.&nbsp;&nbsp; Pioneers have always paid the price for advancement with their blood.</p><p>A number of years ago we took one of those classic American family car-trip vacations to the Yellowstone National Park.&nbsp; For a long part of the trip we travelled along the Oregon trail.&nbsp; In good parental fashion we made our children study up about that great migration before and during the trip.&nbsp; One passage from the history books reverberates in my mind:&nbsp; "Every hundred paces along the trail there was some article of discarded furniture or farm equipment; every quarter mile there was the remains of a cow or oxen or horse, and even mile along the trail there was a grave."&nbsp;&nbsp; Pioneers have always paid the price for advancement with their blood.</p><p>So one day a year we set aside time to remember those pioneers who paid the ultimate price for our modern quest.&nbsp; It is entirely fitting and proper that we do so.&nbsp; Just as we set aside one day a year to honor the brave soldiers, sailors, and airmen who gave their lives to keep our country free.&nbsp; Altogether fitting and proper.&nbsp; And totally inadequate.&nbsp; </p><p>As if we don't remember them every day.&nbsp; As if their faces and voices don't haunt every meeting and every decision that face us as we seen more pioneers into the space frontier.&nbsp;As if we can't practice every day the lessons that have been paid for with great price - a price in blood.&nbsp; </p><p>Is the fourth Thursday in January the only day you remember them?&nbsp; That is not enough.&nbsp; </p><p>Can't remember them all?&nbsp; Here is one place to start:</p><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Mirror_Memorial</p><p>They can no longer carry the work forward.&nbsp; But we can.&nbsp; If we remember.&nbsp; Every day.&nbsp; </p><p>It is not your privilege to speak up; it is your duty.</p><p>It is not your right to participate in the exploration of space; it is your privilege only if you pay excruciating attention to detail, check and recheck, and make certain it is right.</p><p>At the end of the day, our progress has to be worth their sacrifice.&nbsp; Or we should not go at all.</p><p>And turning back is not the way they would have wanted to be remembered.</p><p>Wayne Hale</p>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Remembrance Day Posted on Jan 28, 2009 10:02:05 PM | Wayne Hale&nbsp;..................................................................... <br />Posted by Testing</DIV></p><p>Thanks for this post</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">I think they had the maximum 2.5 hour window. They launched towards the end of it. <br /> Posted by bpcooper</font></DIV></p><p><strong><font size="2">Cheers Ben,</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">I wondered if it might had been a narrow launch window due to the nature of the mission & payloads. Apparently not.&nbsp;</font></strong></p><p>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">A lot of the&nbsp;vehicle was recovered.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The crew module did not come apart when the vehicle broke up. The cabin did start to vent to ambient pressure due to small breaches at some broken fluid connection but it would have taken a few min to get to a low pressure. The impact with the water was around 5 min after the vehicle broke up <br /> Posted by shuttle_guy</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Cheers shuttle_guy,</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>So it seems likely that the crew could have been alert to their quick descent or would the G forces have knocked them out?</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>I did suspect most of Challenger had been recovered. Are the peices still stored in abandoned Minuteman silos?</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Cheers Ben,I wondered if it might had been a narrow launch window due to the nature of the mission & payloads. Apparently not.&nbsp;Cheers shuttle_guy,So it seems likely that the crew could have been alert to their quick descent or would the G forces have knocked them out?I did suspect most of Challenger had been recovered. Are the peices still stored in abandoned Minuteman silos?Andrew Brown.&nbsp; <br />Posted by 3488</DIV></p><p>The G forces during the descent were never very large; except for the impact with the sea.</p><p>Yes, as far as I am aware the silos have never been opened back up.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

newsartist

<p>As I recall, (from the hearing testimony,) accelerations were similar to what a very light person would experience during an aircraft ejection.</p><p>They never explained the angles though. Something as minor as a turned head at the moment of ejection can sometimes be fatal.&nbsp;<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jim48

<strong><font size="2">I remember that day. But then I'm old enought to remember the Apollo I fire. I live in south Florida and it was cold as heck down here as well. Clear blue sky and the splattered smoke contrails of Challenger hung in the air for what seemed like an eternity. I finally had to turn the tv off because they kept running that footage endlessly. I also remember the front page of our local paper two years later when the shuttle returned to space. It was a full page photo of the liftoff with a bold headline: BACK IN SPACE!!! I was so proud, and I just assumed that NASA was on the ball again. The loss of Columbia in 2003 proved me wrong. I was stunned to learn&nbsp;that they had been flying these ships for years with absolutely no provision for outside repairs to damaged tiles. Why, so often, do people have to die before fixes are made, fixes that should have been anticipated?</font></strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

Testing

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for this post <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>Only passing on what I feel is appropriate and worth sharing from a source I respect.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts