Weird young super-Jupiter challenges theories of planet formation

"Alternative explanations for HD 114082 b's small size and big mass that rescue the critical mass model include the idea that the exoplanet simply has an exceptionally large rocky core buried at its heart or that astronomers don't yet have an accurate picture of how rapidly gas in an infant gas giant cools. "It's much too early to abandon the notion of a hot start," Ralf Launhardt, an astronomer at Max Planck Institute for Astronomy and co-author on the new research, said in the statement. "All we can say is that we still don't understand the formation of giant planets very well."

Well, that is an interesting statement in the space.com report. My observation. This exoplanet system and properties are recorded here, http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/hd_114082_b/

Using these properties, I calculate the postulated protoplanetary disc (unobserved in this system) using MMSN for 1.47 Msun host star, could be 4895 earth masses while the exoplanet at 8 Mjup is 2543 earth masses. Looks like an extremely efficient accretion process and rate is needed here using a postulated disc with MMSN relative to the host star mass. Using the exoplanet.eu site, I found 24 large exoplanets with mass range 7 to 8 Jupiter. Their semi-major axis range 0.027 au out to 2500 au from the host stars, many closer than 200 au.]

Latest posts