What am I missing here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MannyPim

FTA: Congress raises debt ceiling to $12.4 trillion

WASHINGTON – The Senate voted Thursday to raise the ceiling on the government debt to $12.4 trillion, a massive increase over the current limit and a political problem that President Barack Obama has promised to address next year.

The Senate's rare Christmas Eve vote, 60-39, follows House passage last week and raises the debt ceiling by $290 billion. The vote split mainly down party lines, with Democrats voting to raise the limit and Republicans voting against doing so. There was one defection on each side, by senators whose seats will be on the ballot next year: GOP Sen. George Voinovich of Ohio and Democratic Sen. Evan Bayh of Indiana.

The bill permits the Treasury Department to issue enough bonds to fund the government's operations and programs until mid-February. The Senate will vote again on the issue Jan. 20.

All right... here's my idea:

Why not just raise the debt ceiling to $100 Quadrillion ?
That would allow everyone to quit working and get a government check (but no bonus, of course), free government healthcare, and government housing and food allowances. The US economy is about $14 Trillion per year. If no one had to work, we would save a lot of money, on transportation and commuting costs, on machinery that wears out, on energy to run the office buildings and factories ... So after realizing all of those savings, we could just pay people their salaries... and that should cost no more than half the $14 Trillion. (Since many of you know that I am all about Indvidual Freedom, I think that if some people choose to work, they should be allowed the option to do so... However, with the Democrats in control of Congress and the White House, I don't know if such a radical idea as the option to work is even feasible. )

So let's say we pay people $7 Trillion dollars and we use another $3 trillion to run the government. That's a total of $10 Trillion per year.
That means that $100 Quadrillion will let us live on that system for 10,000 years !!!

Ok, what about the interest on all that money ? No problem, instead of using all the $100 Quadrillion to pay people not to work and run the government for 10,000 years.... Let's use part of that borrowed $100 Quadrillion to pay for the interest on borrowing the $100 Quadrillion.... that might mean the money will only last us 2,000 or 3,000 years....
But so what ??? Who cares what happens 3,000 years from now ? (I certainly don't).

It's a BRILLIANT plan !

Isn't it ? What am I missing ?

D

docm

Because Congress lives by perpetual incrementalism. If they did it all at once someone would come up with the idea of a part time legislature, and heaven forbid they actually go home and get a real job :)

M

MannyPim

docm":jku2w8c6 said:
Because Congress lives by perpetual incrementalism. If they did it all at once someone would come up with the idea of a part time legislature, and heaven forbid they actually go home and get a real job :)

I see your point... but we would keep funding the government at $3 trillion a year so they could still keep collecting their salaries and pensions and they would never have to show up for work.... no one would ever have to work again, including our politicians ...

K

Kerberos

It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.

Chesterton had a point. :)

10_stone_5

Avg. growth in US GDP since 2000 -- 5%

Avg. growth in US Spending since 2000 -- 6%

Growth in Total US National Debt since 2000 ---
2001 - 3%
2002 - 7%
2003 - 9%
2004 - 9%
2005 - 7%
2006 - 7%
2007 - 6%