What Country to Mars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dimension_X

What country do you think will send the first man to Mars?

I think it would be Russia or the Usa.

G

Gravity_Ray

<<Puts on his Saranac turban>>

I believe the first team to land on Mars (boots on the ground) will be an international team made of ESA, NASA, JAXA, Russia, and China. Or in place of crew some will provide technology instead.

But since the costs are astronomical it will be an international attempt not a country.

This is based on our current situation, if the private industry suddenly has a growth spurt, its possible it will be a private attempt. But that’s a small chance.

Either way, I predict no attempt will be made until at least 2030 time frame, no later than 2040.

B

bdewoody

Gravity_Ray":30l2hzul said:
<<Puts on his Saranac turban>>

I believe the first team to land on Mars (boots on the ground) will be an international team made of ESA, NASA, JAXA, Russia, and China. Or in place of crew some will provide technology instead.

But since the costs are astronomical it will be an international attempt not a country.

This is based on our current situation, if the private industry suddenly has a growth spurt, its possible it will be a private attempt. But that’s a small chance.

Either way, I predict no attempt will be made until at least 2030 time frame, no later than 2040.
This would be the smart way to do it. It remains to be seen whether the nations of earth can work together for that long on a single project.

C

cookie_thief

nimbus":1kuoywyb said:
Put me down for SpaceX.

I've had this crazy idea from time to time that SpaceX, Bigelow and and "others" are working secretly on a shadow Mars Landing Project, but it usually passes after I sober up. (Pointing at self) You've heard it here first, folks!

B

Boris_Badenov

cookie_thief":3qs2gyuo said:
nimbus":3qs2gyuo said:
Put me down for SpaceX.

I've had this crazy idea from time to time that SpaceX, Bigelow and and "others" are working secretly on a shadow Mars Landing Project, but it usually passes after I sober up. (Pointing at self) You've heard it here first, folks!
You're not the only one with that theory. :mrgreen:

G

Gravity_Ray

cookie_thief":31bmgvj1 said:
I know, just saying what some are thinking. ;)

There are over a 100 billionaires in the world. The top 10 combined have over 2 trillion dollars. If the top 10 got together, they could do it.

But its a crazy idea.

B

Boris_Badenov

Gravity_Ray":2587111k said:
There are over a 100 billionaires in the world. The top 10 combined have over 2 trillion dollars. If the top 10 got together, they could do it.
The World's Billionaires
03.11.09, 06:00 PM EDT
This year the world's billionaires have an average net worth of $3 billion, down 23% in 12 months. The world now has 793 billionaires, down from 1,125 a year ago.

Most of the world's Billionaires are only interested in staying Billionaires, nothing else.
We've figured out the architecture for a Mars Pathfinder Mission here before, it's doable with today's technology & it won't take trillions.

M

moonfie

It would be great if private industry could do it, but I don't think the funds or the infrastructure are there right now. Perhaps if space tourism really takes off and becomes quite popular, then private industry might start looking beyond Earth's orbit, but that's a few decades away I'm afraid.

I'd like it if the US would be first to Mars, since I'm from here so I'm biased, but unfortunately our government can't make up its mind from one year to the next what it wants to do with its manned space program, so I find committing to such an undertaking in the near future to be unlikely. I do hate being pessimistic, though, so I hope I'm proven wrong.

I think Russia has other priorities right now. ESA and JAXA have traditionally been focused on un-manned missions, and I don't think they'd attempt a manned Mars mission on their own, but they'd almost certainly lend a helping hand to whatever country did decide to go, and they'd probably be quite involved in an international effort if that happened. China's space program is quite new, but of all the spacefaring nations, I think they're the ones who'd have the most motivation to go, even if it's for no other reason than to prove their status as a superpower.

So my vote is for either China or an international effort, but I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

H

HopDavid

GloriousFuture.jpg

Like fusion, it's just over the horizon.

Who'll get there first? I'm placing my bets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts