What courses do I need to start?

• Thread starter sandcastles_on_cydonia
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sandcastles_on_cydonia

I've been studying astronomy and the various other sciences that it entails on my own for about 3 years now. I have looked into continuing my college coursework in the direction of Astronomy of Astrobiology. The roadblock is the fact that there are TONS of advanced mathermatics courses as prerequisites. Does anyone know if there are any fields where the mathematics courses aren't as rigid or important?

S

sandcastles_on_cydonia

No, not a scientist. I'm much more interested in astrobiology. When you get into equations and densities and all of that, my head starts to hurt. But I love astronomy; everytime a new extrasolar planet is discovered, I get psyched and I am feverishly following the progress on Mars. I really want to be involved in these types of things for an eventual career, but would like to not have to tackle the advance math and statistics courses. Is that impossible? <br /><br />I actually already have a BA in Professional Writing. So composing press releases and articles related to the field would be ideal, but I would love something more hands on to the field.

M

MeteorWayne

And good ones are deperately needed!! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

sandcastles_on_cydonia

I've scoured the internet for such a job for the last year or so but haven't found anything remotely close. Anyone know where I should be looking? <br /><br />Thanks for all of the help!

J

jimfromnsf

Math is the language of science. No math, no science career

E

exoscientist

You could be an observational astronomer. You would certainly need to know some math, but it wouldn't have to be at same level as those astronomers doing theoretical work.<br /> You would have to take some courses in physics and those usually have a prerequisite or corequisite of calculus.<br /> Have you tried taking calculus or precalculus yet?<br /><br /> Bob Clark <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

sandcastles_on_cydonia

Eh, maybe I'll stick with writing. Math is like kryptonite to English majors.

M

mcsquire

Bit of advice from a old bloke - Take it or leave it, totally up to you.<br /><br />Firstly being a writer gives you a broad spectrum. Which is good! Keeps you interested in your job. If you were putting the same componant on the same circuit board in the same factory you'd soon get bored of it. It also allows easy access to different opitunitys. It's one of the easier routes into the science fields. You don't need to work out the hows and whys, just how to put it across to the masses and keep them interested. You'd need to seek qualifications in journalism & publishing.<br /><br />On the other hand if you know what part of the sciences lights your fuse, what have you got to loose by going for it? Maths can be learnt just like engleesh. If it takes you another 10 or more years to get where you want to ultimately be what does it matter? A. Nothing good comes easy in life. I should know I've been writing to Nicole Kidman for years and she's yet too see we are perfect for each other, still no wedding date! B. 10/15/20 years is a small part of your entire lifespan (hopefully). It soon passes believe me!<br /><br />I left school in the late 80's with no qualifications what so ever. I knew I wanted to be a astronomer or artist even at a early age. Unfortunately my parents persuaded me to become a mechanic and the astronomy dream faded into the back of my mind. In the 20+ years I've held jobs I have been a milkman, mechanic, panel beater, boiler engineer, computer engineer, plus a fair few more titles. About 5 years ago I decided to change my direction big time. Maths was my weakest subject at school. Not that I couldn't understand it. I was always able to work calculations out in my head. It was more of a boredom thing. Or as the teachers so often wrote in my school reports, and I quote "Tony's a bright lad but bone idle". So 5 years ago I signed up for night school. Now I am working towards a degree. If I can do that at 39 I am sure you can. I also started drawing about 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts