what if there were no anti matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tpeezy

Sorry for yet another silly question but I was wondering if the early universe didnt ever have any antimatter to help annihilate the regular matter would the universe be a solid block of matter, or would there just be alot more stuff, and if so how much more "stuff" would there be?

A

a_lost_packet_

I'm truly not sure how to answer your specific question. According to theory AFAIK, antimatter is completely necessary. As I understand it, we simply can't have matter created without antimatter if our understanding of cosmology is correct. We can't have "nothing" evolving into "something" without some symmetry that yields an eventual sum of "nothing" can we? :)

The current mystery is, as I understand it, that we're far short of the antimatter cosmologists/physicists would have expected. In short, there isn't enough of it right now if we are correct in our reasoning. There should be more of it left floating around... somewhere.

An interesting article on a recent book that may be educational. (I'm sure it would be for me.)

The Mystery of the Missing Antimatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts