Question what intrigues you about space

Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
What makes you love space, the universe, and the ideas of other planets and life?

I'll start off. I've always liked space since I was a kid and I had stickers of the solar system on my bedroom wall. Now, still basically a kid, I'm more obsessed with space than I've ever been. No matter what anyone says, you really can't comprehend the sheer size of the universe and the things that subside in it. I love all the possibilities that can and cannot be and I'm excited to see what mankind can do and discover within my lifetime. I could keep going on but I don't want to tell me whole entire life on a forum.

Reactions: rod
Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
*the sheer size of the universe*

Can you define this more? For example, how large do you think space is?

I don’t think space has a definite size, I believe it is infinite. If not infinite, it’s bigger then anything we can comprehend.

Reactions: rod
This report indicates based upon BB cosmology, the current radius of the universe about 46.5 billion light-years (thus a diameter some 93 billion light years), see How Big Is the Universe?, https://www.livescience.com/how-big-universe.html

That is about 4.4 x 10^28 cm. Time elapsed since BB event ~ 4.352 x 10^17 s (seconds). Using the volume of a sphere, the universe is about 3.57 x 10^86 cubic centimeters. Most of this is not observable so astronomy cannot confirm the size calculated using the BB model.

Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
This report indicates based upon BB cosmology, the current radius of the universe about 46.5 billion light-years (thus a diameter some 93 billion light years), see How Big Is the Universe?, https://www.livescience.com/how-big-universe.html

That is about 4.4 x 10^28 cm. Time elapsed since BB event ~ 4.352 x 10^17 s (seconds). Using the volume of a sphere, the universe is about 3.57 x 10^86 cubic centimeters. Most of this is not observable so astronomy cannot confirm the size calculated using the BB model.

That’s only our observable universe right?

According to this article, the universe is expanding 73.3 ±2.5 kilometers per second. Doesn’t this mean the universe only has a measurable size for a limited amount of time.

That’s only our observable universe right?

According to this article, the universe is expanding 73.3 ±2.5 kilometers per second. Doesn’t this mean the universe only has a measurable size for a limited amount of time.

Yes, that is a value for H0, 73.3 km/s/Mpc. I like to use CGS so
2.37547E-18 cm/s/cm​

However, observable is all we can confirm in science based upon the scientific method. So that means much of what is considered about the size of the universe in BB model, at present is not confirmed.

Apr 9, 2021
Visit site
The fact that it might go on infinitely, forever. We could never find out everything because there is an infinite amount of space things. It fascinates me to this day.

#SpaceHeadForLife

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
What does space mean? On Earth it might mean "room" as in room to move around. It certainly means a volume containing millions of air (or whatever) molecules. It might evoke mathematical space - x, y, z co-ordinates.

But space space is almost the opposite. It comprises tetrazillions of a volume containing maybe ten atoms per cubic metre crisscrossed by complex radiations. And the x, y, z coordinates suddenly take on truly astronomical numbers. Far beyond our ability to visualize.

Then there is what space is not. Space is not something outside the Universe, into which the Universe expands. Space is an integral part of the all embracing Universe - which is defined as all that is. Any attempt to impress coordinates onto 'something' outside the Universe is a flight of fancy. Then again, I have seen the Universe described (not defined) by all which we are able to observe. I understand this attitude from the point of view of a scientist, but just because light from those regions will never reach us does not mean that those regions do not exist. Then, aaaah, there is the space of science fiction . . . . . . . . .

And something else just occurred to me, If you move around in the "observable universe" it changes. You gain a bit in the direction you move, and lose a bit in the opposite direction. So the "observable universe" is not fixed - it is a moveable feast.

Cat :)

Last edited:
Reactions: spacedweller

Latest posts