What Is Cosmology Exactly?

Wolfshadw

What does a Cosmologist study?
Cosmology

Cosmology (from Greek κόσμος, kosmos "world" and -λογία, -logia "study of") is a branch of astronomy concerned with the studies of the origin and evolution of the universe, from the Big Bang to today and on into the future. It is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and eventual fate of the universe. Physical cosmology is the scientific study of the universe's origin, its large-scale structures and dynamics, and its ultimate fate, as well as the laws of science that govern these areas

-Wolf sends

Reactions: IvanPrior

Wolfshadw

Think of it like Astronomers study individual types of celestial bodies (stars, planets, galaxies, etc...). Cosmologists study the larger structures such a galaxy clusters, their infrastructure, and how they evolved; things like that.

An analogy I might use would be studying a type of building as opposed to studying all the cities of a country and how they're conjoined.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: IvanPrior and Helio
Think of it like Astronomers study individual types of celestial bodies (stars, planets, galaxies, etc...). Cosmologists study the larger structures such a galaxy clusters, their infrastructure, and how they evolved; things like that.

An analogy I might use would be studying a type of building as opposed to studying all the cities of a country and how they're conjoined.
Nice one.

Cosmology is similar to Cosomotology - the beautiful make-up of the cosmos. ;)

As E. E. 'Doc' Smith once put it, Cosmology is the study of the 'Cosmic All'. "Cosmos" is Greek for "Universe." So, cosmology is essentially universology (if there is such a word (if not I will here coin the word)). The broad brush study of the forest (including the ground), mostly, over the study of trees.

Latest posts