What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

craterlake

Hello,
I live in Michigan, USA and have been observing an object in the sky for about an hour now. It is currently 7:10pm and the object is in the north east sky about 45 degrees up from the horizon. I assumed an airplane as it is flashing blue/green, red and white lights. With the naked eye, I can easily see this. However, it hasn't moved!! AT ALL! Other than the movement of the earth. Any clues anyone?
craterlake

M

MeteorWayne

You were looking at the star Capella in the constellation Auriga. The flashing and color changes are cause by parcels of air acting like little lenses and breaking up it's near white light into a spectrum, only part of which points at you at any given time. This is quite common with bright stars when they are near the horizon, and Capella is the 4th brightest star in the sky you can see from Michigan.

Early in the morning, Sirius and Capella (setting in the west at that lime) were flashing like mad for me when I was meteor observing.

MW

C

craterlake

MeteorWayne":3tmbkfk8 said:
You were looking at the star Capella in the constellation Auriga. The flashing and color changes are cause by parcels of air acting like little lenses and breaking up it's near white light into a spectrum, only part of which points at you at any given time. This is quite common with bright stars when they are near the horizon, and Capella is the 4th brightest star in the sky you can see from Michigan.

Early in the morning, Sirius and Capella (setting in the west at that lime) were flashing like mad for me when I was meteor observing.

MW

Thanks MW! I have been watching it again tonight. I've been an avid sky watcher for pretty much all my life, but I don't recall seeing this before. I don't know how I missed it since it jumped right out at me last night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts