What is That?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim48

<strong><font size="2">Okay, y'all. What's that big, bright light in the eastern sky over the horizon I'm seeing every night? Is this a planet? Which one?</font></strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

cosmictraveler

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Okay, y'all. What's that big, bright light in the eastern sky over the horizon I'm seeing every night? Is this a planet? Which one? <br />Posted by jim48</DIV><br /><br /><font size="5">Venus.</font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>It does not require many words to speak the truth. Chief Joseph</p> </div>

J

jim48

<strong><font size="2">That's so obvious I'm embarrassed! Thanks. Picked up the Level One Starry Night program but haven't had a chance to load it yet. From now on I'll&nbsp; be able to discreetly answer my own dumb questions rather than looking like an idiot out here. I'm enjoying jumping into astronomy. I'm in south Florida and we have our share of good and lousy viewing nights. Because the weather has been cool, cold, cool now and about to be cold again, there have been plenty of beautifully clear nights. I can understand why Venus has been reported as a UFO for several decades if you don't know what you're looking at.</font></strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Venus. <br />Posted by cosmictraveler</DIV><br /><br />If it's in the eastern sky, that is not correct. Venus (Mag -4.5) is setting in the western sky after sunset; clearly the brightest object currently in the night sky. But it is in the west. A key question is what time are you asking about. Sirius (the second brightest object in the nighttime sky currently mag -1.4) rises in the east about sunset (depending on exactly where you are) so if it's in the east, that would be the more likely suspect. It's due south around 10 PM. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

AstroHurricane001

Venus can also appear in the south after sunset. Other planets in the east don't appear much brighter than surrounding stars. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

AstroHurricane001

Venus can also appear in the south after sunset. Other planets in the east don't appear much brighter than surrounding stars. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Venus can also appear in the south after sunset. Other planets in the east don't appear much brighter than surrounding stars. <br />Posted by AstroHurricane001</DIV><br /><br />At this time that is true. In a few months when Venus rises in the morning it will be as brilliant as it is now in the evening.</p><p>Saturn is currently in Leo, but is only Mag +0.7; there are a more than a half dozen brighter stars.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.