How To 

What is the Biggest Object Ever Discovered in Space?

7ok2wUc.jpg

There are a lot of things out there that are far more massive than anything in our solar system. We’re like ants on our giant rock of a planet, but our planet is an ant compared to the Sun. This type of scale could go on and on. It’s just like the concept that there’s always a bigger fish; there’s always a bigger celestial object. So what’s the biggest?

1. It depends on how you define object.
When deciding which object in the cosmos is the largest, you have to lay out some definitions. Is an object a single body like a star, or can it be a conglomeration of other objects such as a galaxy? For the sake of being thorough, we’ll take a look at things that fit both of these descriptions.

ey9AJR0.jpg

2. The biggest single object.
As far as single objects go, UY Scuti could probably be considered the winner. It’s a star that’s about 1,700 times larger than the Sun. However, if you want to consider a black hole a single object and we’re talking about not just physical size, but mass as well, then TON 618 is the biggest object. It has 66 billion times more mass than our Sun.

ac2HrFi.jpg

3. The biggest structure.
Superclusters are known to be quite large. They’re groupings of smaller galaxies all mashed together in the same general area. The biggest one of these, and indeed the biggest structure we’ve seen to date, is known as the Great Wall. It spans 10 billion light years across, and scientists have been studying it since its discovery in 2003.

Reactions: rod
When it comes to measuring the *Biggest Object in Space*, I prefer objects compared using angular size measurement and distance. For example, the Great Wall said to span 10 billion light years across. If the Great Wall is roughly 10 billion light years distance or 3.066E+9 pc, the angular size is about 3500 arcminute or 58.33 degrees. A star like UY Scuti, said to be about 1700 solar radii, at 10 pc distance would have an angular size about 1.6 arcsecond. Using angular size and distance, perhaps the CMBR is the *Biggest Object in Space* :)

Reactions: serhiy1635
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
7ok2wUc.jpg

There are a lot of things out there that are far more massive than anything in our solar system. We’re like ants on our giant rock of a planet, but our planet is an ant compared to the Sun. This type of scale could go on and on. It’s just like the concept that there’s always a bigger fish; there’s always a bigger celestial object. So what’s the biggest?

When deciding which object in the cosmos is the largest, you have to lay out some definitions. Is an object a single body like a star, or can it be a conglomeration of other objects such as a galaxy? For the sake of being thorough, we’ll take a look at things that fit both of these descriptions.

ey9AJR0.jpg

As far as single objects go, UY Scuti could probably be considered the winner. It’s a star that’s about 1,700 times larger than the Sun. However, if you want to consider a black hole a single object and we’re talking about not just physical size, but mass as well, then TON 618 is the biggest object. It has 66 billion times more mass than our Sun.

ac2HrFi.jpg

Superclusters are known to be quite large. They’re groupings of smaller galaxies all mashed together in the same general area. The biggest one of these, and indeed the biggest structure we’ve seen to date, is known as the Great Wall. It spans 10 billion light years across, and scientists have been studying it since its discovery in 2003.
Yes, the largest object ever discovered in the history of science was the great Sloan Wall. This is called a filament, which is composed of multiple clusters and superclusters of galaxys.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Yes, the largest object ever discovered in the history of science was the great Sloan Wall. This is called a filament, which is composed of multiple clusters and superclusters of galaxys.
However, since 2003 when TGSW was discovered, according to Wikipedia, The Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall is now the largest object ever discovered in the history of science.

The concept of conglomerations is too vague, in fact I have just read what our mates replied and I agree with them, the universe is the biggest object in our universe! But the originaly question was: what is the biggest object ever discovered in Space, here the argument become complicate, we don't have any idea about what is there, outside our planet, and we can't know it. We can always live in a universe inside a multiverse, and the conglomeration of these would be the bigger object of our universe. Said that, I hope I gave you something of worth.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
The concept of conglomerations is too vague, in fact I have just read what our mates replied and I agree with them, the universe is the biggest object in our universe! But the originaly question was: what is the biggest object ever discovered in Space, here the argument become complicate, we don't have any idea about what is there, outside our planet, and we can't know it. We can always live in a universe inside a multiverse, and the conglomeration of these would be the bigger object of our universe. Said that, I hope I gave you something of worth.
You made a really good point . I completely agree about the fact that the universe is the biggest object in our universe. But take this question into consideration more literally I would say that the biggest object ever been discovered in space is Sun. In addition I wanna say there might be bigger object in our universe, because it hasn`t been discovered completely)

Reactions: vincenzosassone
You made a really good point . I completely agree about the fact that the universe is the biggest object in our universe. But take this question into consideration more literally I would say that the biggest object ever been discovered in space is Sun. In addition I wanna say there might be bigger object in our universe, because it hasn`t been discovered completely)
You're right about it. I have to recognize that I fell in the trap of the question. I have read the question in a bad way. But I only want to say you that the universe isn't so misterious for us, we have discovered our Black Hole, Sagittarius A*, not a lot, but we discovered it. This means that our Black Hole could be taken for by us in this list and other object, I'm speaking about singular object, could go into this list. We have no empiric proof about their exinstence, but we discovered it!

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
You're right about it. I have to recognize that I fell in the trap of the question. I have read the question in a bad way. But I only want to say you that the universe isn't so misterious for us, we have discovered our Black Hole, Sagittarius A*, not a lot, but we discovered it. This means that our Black Hole could be taken for by us in this list and other object, I'm speaking about singular object, could go into this list. We have no empiric proof about their exinstence, but we discovered it!
As far as I know black holes it`s not a completely discovered stuff. Yeah we know about their existence and some of their characteristic . But still there are a lot of things we don`t know about black holes and we need to figure that out.

As far as I know black holes it`s not a completely discovered stuff. Yeah we know about their existence and some of their characteristic . But still there are a lot of things we don`t know about black holes and we need to figure that out.
Yeah, as I have already said, I totaly agree with you. But I feel forced to say you that our Black Hole is discovered by us, at least we are sure that its weight is the highest of the other objects of our galaxy... A feature of the main importance. In all the rest of the speech, I totaly agree with you and I'm very happy to had this conversation.

When it comes to measuring the *Biggest Object in Space*, I prefer objects compared using angular size measurement and distance. For example, the Great Wall said to span 10 billion light years across. If the Great Wall is roughly 10 billion light years distance or 3.066E+9 pc, the angular size is about 3500 arcminute or 58.33 degrees. A star like UY Scuti, said to be about 1700 solar radii, at 10 pc distance would have an angular size about 1.6 arcsecond. Using angular size and distance, perhaps the CMBR is the *Biggest Object in Space* :)
Is there some cheating going on here :)
rod - what are you seeing when you look at the CMB? Is it not a shell or visible boundary between the observable part of the 'contents of the big bang' and the greater whole of the unobservable 'whole contents of the big bang'. Aren't you just seeing part of a larger object from the inside and not a whole object?:)

Isn't that a paradox?
Maybe it could be seen as a paradox, but it is also a possible solution. Here the universe is seen as a group of objects that go together in order to made all the universe in which we are.
The Universe isn't in space, it is space. If the universe is infinite and is 'everything that exists' then there is nothing beyond it for it to exist in, and so can't really be called an object IMO
We have no evidence that the universe is infinite, according to Einstein the universe is finite, has borders, and it could also be considered as a joined group of matter.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Yeah, as I have already said, I totaly agree with you. But I feel forced to say you that our Black Hole is discovered by us, at least we are sure that its weight is the highest of the other objects of our galaxy... A feature of the main importance. In all the rest of the speech, I totaly agree with you and I'm very happy to had this conversation.
Unfortunately, exploring black holes are very difficult now. It`s like traveling to Mars. Humanity doesn`t have appropriate equipment and personaly I don`t think scientists will invent it in the nearest future.

Maybe it could be seen as a paradox, but it is also a possible solution. Here the universe is seen as a group of objects that go together in order to made all the universe in which we are.

We have no evidence that the universe is infinite, according to Einstein the universe is finite, has borders, and it could also be considered as a joined group of matter.
Many scientists see the big bang as the beginning of the universe and in turn, regard it as the whole universe. I find that view short-sighted and unscientific to assume the contents of the big bang is 'all that exists' which is the definition of 'universe'.

The big bang started with a small size has a finite expansion rate and age so it must now have a finite size. I see the big bang as a separate phenomenon and object in a whole universe of an infinite number of big bangs. Why would you get one finite big bang and nothing else for the rest of an infinite space or void?

So, I guess for me, the largest object in the universe would be the 'contents of the big bang'. Sadly, I don't think there's a name for the 'contents of the big bang' because most people incorrectly (IMO) assume it's the universe. :)

Unfortunately, exploring black holes are very difficult now. It`s like traveling to Mars. Humanity doesn`t have appropriate equipment and personaly I don`t think scientists will invent it in the nearest future.
Yeah, it is the truth. We can't observe the black holes close because of our limitations... But there is always the fact of the greatest importance that our black hole, the famous Sagittarius A*, is still the heaviest object in our galaxy. Despite our few knoledges, we perfectly know that our supermassive black hole is the heaviest object in our galaxy. We have some proofs: it is the core of our galaxy, and we know it seen that is was photographed; all the objects spins around it, in fact all the objects spins around the core; we saw in any others galaxies this disposition, and we have to believed that is also the disposition of our galaxy. Said that, I really hope to clear your ideas, if you have someting to say, I'll be happy to read it!

The big bang started with a small size has a finite expansion rate and age so it must now have a finite size. I see the big bang as a separate phenomenon and object in a whole universe of an infinite number of big bangs. Why would you get one finite big bang and nothing else for the rest of an infinite space or void?
I believe in the multiverse theory. Just for this reason I watch our universe separately from the possibiles other universes. In fact when I speak about the universe, I mean our universe. I have ruled out the other universes, and now we can focus on our universe, that is the whole thing of all of the objects in the universe. It is the heaviest and the biggest object in here!

Jan 26, 2024
Visit site
But we HAVE the appropriate equipment to go to Mars today. In fact, we’re there now! We take photos of the terrain as we slowly explore the terrain, watch and film the sunrise and sunset as it can only be observed from the ancient red rock plateaus and what we believe are ancient sea beds at lower elevations.
Yes, as far as I’m concerned, we have and ARE on Mars now.
How much more “being there” would you require to allow you to agree we had “been to” a black hole?

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
7ok2wUc.jpg

ey9AJR0.jpg

ac2HrFi.jpg

Not the biggest object, or maybe what you would even define as an object, but the Bootes Void is pretty impressive!

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
When deciding which object in the cosmos is the largest, you have to lay out some definitions. Is an object a single body like a star, or can it be a conglomeration of other objects such as a galaxy?

Think about it. As correctly pointed out, it all depends on how you define object.

One definition might include "something consisting of matter" and thus "something consisting of associations of fundamental particles".

This still does not help much. You must take account of the density of these associations, which immediately implies separation (or lack of separation) of particles.

This brings us back to Sun / Star(s) / Galaxy / Groups of galaxies. Gravitation does not solve the issue either. Groups of galaxies may include very widely separated members still connected by gravitation. How close or separate do collections of fundamental particles need to be to count as objects. A question with no definitive answer.

I respectfully suggest that there is nothing here left to occupy our time on productively.

Cat :)

"A nation that has too many laws is lawless!" -- Cicero (A system that has too many rules is without rule! A tyranny of anarchies! An anarchy of tyrannies! As Cicero observed, a far more savage state than civilized state. . . a far more naturally brittle state than naturally cohesive state.)
----------------------

"We both love the people, but you love them as infants (adult children) whom you are afraid to trust without nurses (Alpha elites), and I as adults whom I freely leave to self-government." -- Thomas Jefferson to a French aristocrat friend just prior to the French Revolution.

Last edited:

Latest posts