What is the differences between Sun and Dwarfs

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

redCL

What are the temperatures and pressures of the Sun's core and Red and White Dwarfs?

N

neilsox

If you are asking about class m stars that are red with little orange or yellow, these would have 0.08 to 0.1 solar mass, so the core pressure and core temperature would be about 1/10 th that of our sun. Our sun is sometimes called a yellow dwarf. In theory a somewhat more massive main sequence star, with a hotter photosphere might be called a white dwarf, but the name white dwarf is reserved for compact stars of about one solar mass, but smaller than earth. These are hundreds of times hotter with perhaps a million times more pressure at their center. Possibly white dwarfs have no distinct core. They are cooling, but perhaps even those that became white dwarfs 13 billion years ago have not yet cooled to yellow hot. In fact typical white dwarfs are blue hot rather than white hot. I have never heard of a blue dwarf, but I suppose O, B and A stars may be called blue dwarfs by some astronomers. Sorry the names tend to be confusing. Neil

Y

yevaud

redCL":31xpbo5w said:
What are the temperatures and pressures of the Sun's core and Red and White Dwarfs?

What Neil said. A nifty way to remember the star classifications from the Herzsprung-Russel seqence is "Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me." Each capitolized letter corresponding to a type of star in the Main Sequence.

R

rabraha3

Yes, another naming scheme that seems to have the objective of confusing everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts