How To 

What is the International Space Station?

7BZ1PJo.jpg

Some accomplishments of human history are so incredible, we begin to take them for granted once we become accustomed to them. The International Space Station, an idea early scientists would barely have been able to dream of, is one such accomplishment. We’re going to take some time to answer the question “What is the International Space Station” and look at why it represents such a significant milestone in mankind’s history.

1. In 1998, a ten year construction project began.
The science community had been dreaming of a space station since the 1950s, but it only became a reality in 1998 when the very first piece of the ISS was launched into orbit. As you can imagine, constructing a space station - in space - was no easy task. Part by part, space shuttles transported what would become the ISS, and crews painstakingly attached everything together, all from about 250 miles above the Earth.

LbyVnmm.jpg

2. The ISS is truly an international project.
There’s a reason the name of the station includes “international.” 15 countries contributed to the construction, provided funds, and devoted manpower to the project. While the US and Russia played the most significant roles, the Canadian Space Agency, European Space Agency, and the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency also did their fair share.

sl8tqJE.jpg

3. What does the future hold in store?
Since 2000, the ISS has been continuously occupied by astronauts and cosmonauts. This incredible project proved that not only can we create what is essentially a research institute in space, we can live there. And, we can collaborate with countries across the globe to make it happen. Nothing pulls together humankind like a project that changes the world. The ISS will likely operate into 2024 and possibly 2028, but after that, the future is uncertain.

The International Space Station is a huge waste of time and resources. They wasted billions of dollars and 21 years on the relatively useless monstrosity they have now. If the PTB had built a proper Space Station, such as Station V as was depicted in 2001: A Space Odyssey, they could easily do studies at .38G (Mars), .166G (Moon), or any other value. With 1G at the rim for Earth normal living, any other G force could be experienced in one of the spokes at different levels between the rim and the hub. Even higher G experiments could be done with extensions out beyond the rim.

Scientist and researchers with very little “astronaut training” could work on such a station indefinitely at 1G, or even a little less if they chose to do so.

latest

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
The International Space Station is a huge waste of time and resources. They wasted billions of dollars and 21 years on the relatively useless monstrosity they have now. If the PTB had built a proper Space Station, such as Station V as was depicted in 2001: A Space Odyssey, they could easily do studies at .38G (Mars), .166G (Moon), or any other value. With 1G at the rim for Earth normal living, any other G force could be experienced in one of the spokes at different levels between the rim and the hub. Even higher G experiments could be done with extensions out beyond the rim.

Scientist and researchers with very little “astronaut training” could work on such a station indefinitely at 1G, or even a little less if they chose to do so.

latest
M A
I think you have made a good case there. What exactly are they doing (that is useful) that they cannot do on the ground?

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Please post in English (Google Translated...but not very well):

Hello
I ask myself a doubtless stupid question, would it be possible to de-orbit the space station, to make it take the direction of the moon, or even of Mars.

Thank you for your reply...

Bonjour
je me pose une question sans doute stupide , serait t'il possible de désorbité la station spatiale, pour lui faire prendre la direction de la lune, ou même de mars.

merci , de votre réponse...

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2020
Visit site
Ok my view on this matter is that the International space station was a great success.
However now I would retro fit it out and send it to the moon and use it as the first moon base.
Then I would start generating a new local space station that can perform the actions and motions needed for other experiments such as artificial gravity.
If we can solve basic artificial gravity, going to moons and planets may be easy as we may be able to have some gravity.
When we get there and stay in space orbiting the moon or planet longer which works for our needs while enjoying some gravity, potentially.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Please post in English (Google Translated...but not very well):

Hello
I ask myself a doubtless stupid question, would it be possible to de-orbit the space station, to make it take the direction of the moon, or even of Mars.

Thank you for your reply...

Bonjour
je me pose une question sans doute stupide , serait t'il possible de désorbité la station spatiale, pour lui faire prendre la direction de la lune, ou même de mars.

merci , de votre réponse...
I would say not a bad translation actually. I might just change prendre la direction de to send it to (or towards) (the moon etc). expressing the meaning more easily.

Ma connaissance de la langue Francaise n'est pas trop mal.

Last edited:

Latest posts