What is the skinny on making telescopes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xmo1

URL's for tools, parts, plans, and mods would be appreciated. Photo's of mods out there? How about awards for telescope mods from SDC, that would be cool. I would like to see some home made scopes if you have some pics maybe the moderator would allow posting them in this thread. Thanks in advance. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>DenniSys.com</p> </div>

T

tfwthom

Oh and there is always RTMC <br /><br />Originally called the Telescope Makers Conference, the Riverside Telescope Makers Conference (RTMC) was founded in 1969 by Clifford W. Holmes as a way for amateur telescope makers to share their craft. In 1975, the RTMC moved to its current home at Camp Oakes, a YMCA camp near Big Bear City. Located 50 miles northeast of Riverside in the San Bernardino mountains, the site offers space for camping, several dormitories and 18 three-sided shelters, a meeting/dining hall, and the Charles Walker Observatory. The camp is located at an elevation of 7,600 feet. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

X

xmo1

Thank you.<br /><br />Costs twice as much to build an 8", so they say. The authors also say that home built scopes have major advantages that, at least partially, offset the cost of building. Pretty interesting so far.<br /><br />Thoughts:<br />Cooking from scratch is analogous to making a scope.<br /><br />Learning about telescopes from the ground up may be worth the cost.<br /><br />Could build some pretty cool scopes given today's materials.<br /><br />Invention is derived not only by necessity, but also through investigation. New technologies, new materials, and new ways to do things invite invention. To invent is to answer the right question with the right answer.<br /><br />New materials, tools, and plans should make it possible to re-look at traditional telescope engineering and construction.<br /><br />Thanks again for the URL's. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>DenniSys.com</p> </div>

B

billslugg

I read, many years ago, about John Dobson making his first scopes. I have been unable to confirm this. He was in a monastery, he made scopes out back in a shed, unauthorized. His mirrors were ground from the bottoms of 1 gallon wine jugs. His grit was sand, ground and settled in water.<br />Anybody else ever read this? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

T

tfwthom

John Dobson: A Brief Biography <br /><br />Having met John a couple times I'll tell you.....he'll drive you nuts with some of his antics....he needs to be reminded to change his clothes and wash....he wants to tell you all about what he had for dinner....he still believes in "Steady State"....he wants to be waited on "hand and foot"<br /><br />You have to give him his due though, he has had a major influence on astronomy by popularizing the trunion mount. (he''ll tell you he didn't invent the Dobsonian mount) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

X

xmo1

Great story, and food for thought. Think I'm going to start small just to get the hang of it, and to see if I like doing the work. Dale Chihuly's glass works is right down the road. Think I'll pay them a visit. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>DenniSys.com</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts