What is this object?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OleNewt

It's the Bugs! :eek:

Seriously, my guess is just a common small space rock that's flown a little too closely to Earth and had to take a swim through the atmosphere. They heat up and catch fire like that when they do.

W

Woggles

It will be interesting to see what the investigation finds out. Most likely a space rock.

C

clint_dreamer

This story is gaining momentum in Canada and has been all over the news the past few days. The office of the Prime Minister is passing it off as "model rocketry." France is claiming to have fired a successful missile test in the Atlantic Ocean. The RCMP is investigating, yet no one can seem to come up with a valid explanation.

M

MeteorWayne

I know no one want to hear this, but it looks like a jet contrail near sunset is certainly a possibility....

C

clint_dreamer

I just watched another news item on it and France confirms a missile test in that general area, however it was done yesterday, and not Monday when the photos were taken.

Wayne, I did a search for images of what you mentioned and there is definitely a similarity there. Someone will figure it out soon I'm sure.

W

Woggles

More from Globe and Mail

"However, Billy Allan, an associate professor of mechanical engineering at Canada's Royal Military College, quickly poked a few holes in any missile theory after viewing the photo.

The object looked to be subsonic (too slow) and much smaller than the M51 or any large missile. Missile tests rarely take place near communities, he said."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le1448583/

W

Woggles

More from the National Post

"On Wednesday morning, the French military confirmed it had completed submarine-based missile testing off the northwest coast of France. The testing concluded at 4:55 a.m., Newfoundland standard time, but there was no confirmed start time. The test was the first in a series of six planned in 2010 for the M51 nuclear missile.

According to the French military, the M51 has a range of approximately 10,000 kilometres. The distance between the test site in Audierne Bay, France, and Harbour Mille is only 3,800 kilometres."

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada ... id=2492178

C

clint_dreamer

Our government appears to be trying to keep this very quiet, which in turn is making people more concerned about what actually happened. The Prime Minister's office wants to accept the "model rocketry" story and quickly more on from there without little investigation but I don't think that will happen now.

W

Woggles

Hey MeteorWayne

Yes sir!! lol. Yes I thought of you when I posted that!

B

bdewoody

Over the years I've watched a lot of stuff launch from Cape Canaveral and the image looks more like a missile launch than anything else. Jet contrails in the setting sun maybe but where are the wings and tail? Model rocketry is BS. Something launched from france would not still be firing it's rocket motor after crossing the Atlantic. I don't think it was a space rock either as it looked too regular. My vote is the second stage of a previously launched satellite that finally re-entered the atmosphere.\ maybe from a polar orbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.