What Science Fiction novel would make a good series for TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnsje

Now that we have seen what SciFi would be good for the big screen. I would like to know which ones would be good for a TV series.<br /><br />I personally would like to see a show like H.G Wells The Time Machine or Stephen Baxters Time Ships. <br /><br />I really think this is the only way to really do a time travel show and make it work. I know the recent movie was really not very good. But there is just to much material for a big screen movie.

S

SpeedFreek

Larry Niven (and others) Man-Kzin Wars books. All short stories, one per episode! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000">_______________________________________________<br /></font><font size="2"><em>SpeedFreek</em></font> </p> </div>

N

nyrath

James Blish's CITIES IN FLIGHT series. Epic in scope, but the flying cities "migrant farmer" lifestyle lends itself to an episodic TV show.

A

a_lost_packet_

Honor Harrington series.. a cross between Star Trek, Buck Rogers, Starship Troopers and WWII naval battles all rolled up into one. As a matter of fact, Sci-Fi channel is supposed to be doing one on that IIRC. /keeps fingers crossed <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

J

johnsje

I have never read that series, but after looking over a few sites about it, I must say that it looks like it could have a lot of depth to it. Seems along with the space stuff there is a big political angle to the story. Very interesting indeed. I would like to see what the SCI-FI Channel would do with it. But I have my doubts about that station in general.

A

a_lost_packet_

Sci Fi will probably turn it into mush. I'm not a huge fan of the series, haven't read all the books and such. (I think I have 5 or so) However, it has everything needed to be an excellent television series. It has depth, interesting characters, politics, war, naval battles, planetside adventure, personal intrigue, interpersonal conflicts etc.. It's decently written, the plots aren't too highbrow but are done with a certain flair and it doesn't take a huge amount of concentration to stay involved as something is always happening to keep your attention.<br /><br />It's not the best science fiction out there, though. But, it would make a good sci-fi series with a lot of potential, IMO. Of course, Sci-Fi channel will probably murder it. /sigh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

I'm adding Peter Hamilton's outstanding sci-fi trilogy (sextology if you have the US editions) entitled the "The Night's Dawn Trilogy." The meat and potatoes are there for a great series with a pretty interesting storyline. IMO, one of the best sci-fi series done in the past few years that would make the translation onto the small-screen. The full 6 (US) books may be able to be broken down to covering one per year for a full run, 6 season series. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

F

flynn

I do like Hamiltons work but do you think it could be too large even for a series. Most good long running series center around maybe 6 main characters at most. I think people might find it quite diffecult to follow. Miss one show you'd never catch up.<br /><br />I'd nominate the work of Alastair Reynolds as a whole. If done cleverly it could work really well. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

As previously mentioned in another thread ... E.E. "Doc" Smith's <i>Lensman</i> series. Fairly well tuned to the general public's tastes I'd think. Enough material for a mini-series or a few seasons of a series. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<font color="yellow">I do like Hamiltons work but do you think it could be too large even for a series. Most good long running series center around maybe 6 main characters at most. I think people might find it quite diffecult to follow. Miss one show you'd never catch up. </font><br /><br />There are a huge number of shows out there that have plotlines so twisted it's almost impossible to catchup. Just about everything out there with a serious/mysterious twist to it follows the "Twin Peaks" model. Miss an episode and say "WTF?" to yourself everytime you turn on the TV.<br /><br />The huge number of characters may be a problem. However, I think it would be fine in this situation. I'm reminded of Babylon 5. Bab5 had alot of characters in it but only a few "mainline" characters. Others temp characters came and went through different episodes. The main problem with Nights Dawn would be the huge number of locations and the real differences between them. Moving from the Arcologies to planetside to a newly developed world to space to deep space to an asteroid to... well, the list goes on. That would be the most difficult thing to keep control of. You'd have to give the flavor of the huge confederation and all the subplots while still giving the audience some sort of main focus. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

F

flynn

I was half way through reading your post and was thinking okay you might just away with the ammount of charactors, after all a screen play isn't going to be the same as a book but what about the locations then you went and brought it up yourself. I guess all that would need to be trimmed as well. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

I would think that you could still keep alot of it but maintain a focus on a few interesting characters. Alot of miniseries have used many different characters and locations along a timeline in order to tell a story. It would have to be handled in similar fashion. For instance, you'd make sure to have segments focusing on different locations and characters but never let the audience escape from being involved with certain key characters to the plot. Eventually, most of these characters meet up anyway. IIRC, there are basically three main focii in the end-game of the storyline with multiple characters from different parts of the story interacting with each other. That's the kind of thing that ties it all together and the same mechanism could be used in a series. It'd be like Babylon 5 in some regards. Everything written out beforehand and timed to end after a standard series run. (5 years+) Put in filler material where needed and move on to developing the arcology idea and various political stuff along with having to deal with the "truth" if the show got extra seasons.. much like Bab5 had to do. Too bad they didn't do it that well though... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

F

flynn

What would you do about the rubbish ending to both series of books? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

E

etavaunt

Oh seconded!.<br /><br />I want to see Catskinner delivered at High C in its slaver stasis field.<br /><br />I want to see a kzin bar, with Chutt-Ritts urine in its place of honour, and the stuffed and mounted skin of a Man wearing a Hellfire tattoo in ITS place of honour.<br /><br />I want to see the ratcats leap, and the monkeys pull out their magic wishing staff and slug them outta the park.<br /><br />I want to see the mad lads and lassies on maintainence detail on Mercury, play at "pirates and governers daughters" to pass their long-time-waiting-for-dat-puddytat.<br /><br />It would so rule!.

Status
Not open for further replies.