What will the Webb telescope see?

Dec 25, 2021
Visit site
I am hoping to see the launch in just over an hour. I am puzzled / struggle to understand what a telescope can see. I suspect the answer is simple

As I understand it takes about 8 minutes for light to come from the Sun - so we see the Sun as it was 8 minutes ago.

So how far away are the 'ancient stars' and what will The Webb telescope be able to detect?

Dec 25, 2021
Visit site
Peter,
JWST will be able to see stars billions of lightyears away, so it will be seeing some things as they were billions of years ago. Since Webb's mirror is so much larger than Hubble's mirror, it will be able to resolve images from objects even farther away than what Hubble can. Webb will be more sensitive in infrared wavelengths, so it will be able to better image objects through interstellar clouds and dust. When looking at planets orbiting other stars, Webb will be better able to detect the atmospheres of those planets.

Dec 25, 2021
Visit site
Wow, Many thanks.
"JWST will be able to see stars billions of lightyears away "
Sometimes the numbers take a lot of understanding

Happy New Year

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Peter,
JWST will be able to see stars billions of lightyears away, so it will be seeing some things as they were billions of years ago. Since Webb's mirror is so much larger than Hubble's mirror, it will be able to resolve images from objects even farther away than what Hubble can. Webb will be more sensitive in infrared wavelengths, so it will be able to better image objects through interstellar clouds and dust. When looking at planets orbiting other stars, Webb will be better able to detect the atmospheres of those planets.
Why are the first few targets in space going to be classified Top Secret????

Latest posts