What would happen next after an 'intervention-type' alien first contact

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
May 25, 2021
What if anything ,would they want from us? Something we have and they don't, or they have already used up what they had. It would have to be something very valuable and rare to them. Right off the top I can't think what that would be. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Reactions: Catastrophe
May 25, 2021
In the novel Passengers, those two had a child but only she was there when they were all were woken up 98 years later. She was all grown up 38, but both her parents had already died. Generational deep space missions.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

The devil is in the detail
In the novel Passengers, those two had a child but only she was there when they were all were woken up 98 years later. She was all grown up 38, but both her parents had already died. Generational deep space missions.
Is that by John Marrs? If so, great book. But his "The One" is even better imo.

Cat :)

P.S. Actually, there are several books called Passengers or The Passengers. The Marrs one is where several drivers in automatic cars are programmed to crash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clovis

Catastrophe

What would happen next after an 'intervention-type' alien first contact

Surely this is a totally open ended question? It is asking for suggestions which could run into multitudes depending on the aliens temperament/intentions/ weaponry/star signs/what they had for breakfast?

Is this intended to tie up Astronomy for ever more or would it be prudent to impose some sort of limitation? Maybe 1,000,000 posts?

Reactions: Clovis
Dec 29, 2019
If we looked like we could achieve similar space travel capabilities and are likely to carry our warring nature and capabilities with us to become a threat and problem, alarmed aliens might act pre-emptively. Going by human history we do look like a species that can be a threat and a problem.

I don't think this is an actual concern because I don't think that kind of space travel is possible within the constraints of physics.

Catastrophe

I agree with Ken. The difficulties in getting close enough to start wars are probably only to be overcome by a species above wishing to be in contact with such primitive species.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts