Question When Jupiter and Saturn align what will it look like

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
I got home from an appointment with just enough time to see with the naked eye. Impressive. Not enough time to drag the telescope out though. Bummed by that part.

If you pulled out binoculars, those provided some excellent views of those two diamonds in the sky. Jupiter about 11x brighter than Saturn. Jupiter mv -1.97, Saturn mv + 0.63 according to Stellarium. I hope some folks got great photos, the whole event I observed just begged for some pictures---Rod

COLGeek

If you pulled out binoculars, those provided some excellent views of those two diamonds in the sky. Jupiter about 11x brighter than Saturn. Jupiter mv -1.97, Saturn mv + 0.63 according to Stellarium. I hope some folks got great photos, the whole event I observed just begged for some pictures---Rod
I wish my binos had been handy. They are 250 miles away (in my camper), dang it.

Wolfshadw, thanks for finding that video in your post #29 and presenting it. I watched some of it, the video is more blurry and indications of waviness in the atmosphere than I encountered while viewing the event, best views 1710-1740 EST or 2210 UT to 2240 UT for my location (higher elevation angle too) before the planets dropped behind some trees in SW. Simulation views using Stellarium 0.20.3 and Starry Night Pro Plus 8 show Europa about 1 arcminute off Jupiter limb while Callisto, Io, and Ganymede on the other side. I used my 90-mm refractor with star diagonal so north up, mirror reverse view vs. terrestrial image. Europa is magnitude 5.99 according to Starry Night simulation, Stellarium shows 6.13. Europa became more apparent in my eyepiece view when the sky darkened more after sunset perhaps near 1720 EST. This was a stunning and great conjunction event to witness. Consider the distance of Jupiter and Saturn last night when I could see both easily in the telescope view. Jupiter about 5.927 au from Earth, Saturn about 10.829 au. Starry Night and Stellarium provide distances from Earth for the event you are viewing. As I looked at both planets, I thought I could throw a baseball at them and hit both of them, no problem :)----Rod

Reactions: Wolfshadw

Wolfshadw

@rod
So I hit the video link again this morning when it went back to live and you can really see the three Galilean moons very well. I still cannot see Europa on the other side, but I did notice this guy. Any ideas?

ibyxaia.png

-Wolf sends

Reactions: rod
@rod
So I hit the video link again this morning when it went back to live and you can really see the three Galilean moons very well. I still cannot see Europa on the other side, but I did notice this guy. Any ideas?

ibyxaia.png

-Wolf sends
Wolf, I ran a simulation view set for 1800 EST/2300 UT my location for last night using Starry Night Pro Plus 8 and Stellarium 0.20.3. There are a number of faint stars less than 18 arcminute from Jupiter and Callisto that show up, most are 9th to 10th magnitude stars in the direction of your arrow. When I viewed until 1740 EST or 2240 UT, no stars were visible in the field of view because the sunset near 1649 EST/2149 UT. There was also a moon of Jupiter in that position too, Phoebe Six but that moon according to Stellarium is magnitude 17.04. That would be something if this moon was imaged here. The third moon from Jupiter in this image is Callisto, then Io, and Ganymede closer to Jupiter limb in the view. By the way. When I viewed last night, the nearly First Quarter Moon in Pisces was quite lovely too in the evening sky along with Saturn and Jupiter looking like two, very close diamonds place up there :)

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

@rod,

Thank you for taking the time to indulge me and my questions. I also appreciate being able to see, vicariously, through your eyes. :)

My first thought was also that is was a distant star, but I didn't want to rule out another possible moon. But if Phoebe is supposed to be that faint, I can't think of anyway it might be visible other that some really strange refraction through Earth's atmosphere.

-Wolf sends

We enjoyed the view from two nights ago and the seeing condition was good. I used a simple 8" Dob. and an 8" SCT with an equatorial mount for both nights. The first night was the practice run to get set-up and it was helpful since I was rusty to get all the camera gear right for the SCT.

But the clouds also prevented all but about 1 minute of viewing early in the evening, while I was almost ready with the camera gear. My wife enjoyed this brief moment through the Dob. The rest of the time I sat and waited but with little hope, which proved correct. I did get a few Moon shots in to test my camera settings.

Regardless, those prior night views will be memories to enjoy.

Wolf, I did another check of the tools for 21-Dec at 2300 UT my location including Sky & Telescope Tools for Jupiter's moons. Starry Night Pro Plus 8 shows Phoebe six is a moon of Saturn and in a different position than Stellarium 0.20.3 gave me when I blew up the chart view with Telrad rings selected. Concerning the arrow object now, I will go with one of those USNO stars near 12th magnitude or 9-11th magnitude stars in the area of Callisto in the video. There are some close by (angular separation) other stars too that are TYC numbered according to Starry Night Pro Plus 8 view. I find Starry Night Pro Plus 8 very useful, Stellarium too but there are differences.

I'm really happy about the fact that even who wasn't able to watch the align now watch it because of technology! By now we are so developed that our ancestors would't have believed even if they had watched it with their own eyes...
Regardless, those prior night views will be memories to enjoy.
You're right. I would like to think that we are very lucky, we are, indeed, the first generation that watched this alignement knowing what was appening. Anyways, the next approch so close between Saturn and Jupiter will thake place in 800 years. In many ways we are specials!

Reactions: Helio

COLGeek

I just had one of those "Wow!" moments.

Could clearly see 4 moons with Jupiter and an extraordinary view of Saturn. All at the same time.

Terrible light conditions in immediate area, but even that did not detract from the awesomeness of the viewing.

I need to get a CCD/camera to take pictures with and to see images on my laptop.

COLGeek, your post #39, great you good enjoy the view. Tonight was very clear for me but windy with gusts 18 knots from WNW so the telescope tube vibrated at times. I was out too from 1645 until 1740 EST viewing with my telescope and binoculars. I was looking at both planets 129x views and 10x50 binoculars. Glad you enjoyed some of this sky show---Rod

Of course, it ain't over just yet.
You're right!:D
Yesterday, I wanted to talk about it, but then I forgot. The most beautiful fact is that now, in this period, Jupiter and Saturn are always very close to each other. This events aren't fast but they last some days... So, if you didn't have the possibility to watch them in this storic period, don't give up! For me is over, now the sky is very cloudy, the forecast says that this will last a lot, is impossible watch it, though I have already saw that and I'm so proud of it.

Latest posts