Why a giant 'cold spot' in the cosmic microwave background has long perplexed astronomers

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
When the Big Bang occured, all the matter is flying in all directions away from the point of detonation. That central point where the Big Bang happened. I know they say "Well there is no center. The big bang happened everywhere.". But it didn't. There was some location where the big bang occurred. It would make sense that this location would after a time form a large void were all the mater was propelled away from this spot. Maybe this void is the center point of the big bang? The left over vestige of the very large explosion.

Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
Where did all the "matter" come from for this "large" Big Bang "explosion"? There was no spacetime yet to give the BB "direction", so how does it get "propelled"? What we actually observe is a rapid expansion of spacetime and every point within the universe shares the same frame of reference of observing itself to be the oldest, most central and most distant point from the Big Bang event as compared to any other point within the entire (theorized) singularity.

If what you described was actually descriptive of the Big Bang event, we would observe a younger universe in one direction and an older universe in the opposite direction; what we actually see is a uniformly younger universe in every direction we look.

There was no "point of detonation" in the BB. The entire universe expanded equally everywhere. There was no "preferred location", all points in the universe see themselves as being at the center.

The matter in the universe is exactly balanced by the gravitational potential energy of its expansion. There is no violation of the Second Law.

Reactions: Helio
Isn't the cold spot simply the tail of our movement through the universe? The CMBR dipole anisotropy? It shows in which direction we are heading and how fast. Did I miss something?
It’s not the dipole, which is hemispheric. It’s an actual cooler than normal 5deg. region.

One article estimates a 1:50 chance this would result, I assume, per QM.

There is a multiverse math that superimposes QM and string theory where the author claims predicts such a spot, but this is not strong evidence for a multiverse.

But, if the combination is possible for multiverses then why not for just one?

I think the anisotropy stems from those earliest quantum fluctuations. If so it is only probability that determines these sizes we now see in the CMBR. This may be the 1:50 figure. But QM at near t=0 makes such things guesses, IMO.

If it's only 5 degrees wide it's too narrow for the dipole anisotropy. I'm with you on the guessing. One in fifty is not all that of a coincidence. A coincidence is that the speed of light at 299,792,458 m/s is the same as the latitude of the top step of the Great Hall of the Great Pyramid, 29.9792458 degrees north. And both are related to the size of the Earth. The 1:50 pales in comparison.

If it's only 5 degrees wide it's too narrow for the dipole anisotropy. I'm with you on the guessing. One in fifty is not all that of a coincidence. A coincidence is that the speed of light at 299,792,458 m/s is the same as the latitude of the top step of the Great Hall of the Great Pyramid, 29.9792458 degrees north. And both are related to the size of the Earth. The 1:50 pales in comparison.
That’s a coincidence!

Any structures at pi? 😜

1:50 may even be a high estimate.

Here’s that article.

You are trying to analyze orphan light. It has no meaning, therefore it can mean anything you want. It's just excreted EM field energy to meet quantum inertial specifications. For stable matter. Matter achieving and maintaining stability. It's a necessary function and perfectly normal. Poop happens. Even in space.

It's just the eons and present verification of the quantum energy level property of matter. The energy in space comes from matter, not space. It's dissolving energy. It disorders space. But keeps matter motion in a balance state. Order is not the principle, balance is.

Energy and mass has been dissolving since the beginning. Causing gravity to decay. And can never return. It's a one way trip.

May 26, 2024
Visit site
There was no "point of detonation" in the BB. The entire universe expanded equally everywhere. There was no "preferred location", all points in the universe see themselves as being at the center.

The matter in the universe is exactly balanced by the gravitational potential energy of its expansion. There is no violation of the Second Law.
In this case we should see these oldest galaxies which was formed first in our Universe in all directions around us, while they are found in Fornax constellation which is close to the Eridanus, if I am not wrong here.
I also would say there should be initial black hole, the biggest in our Universe, on that cold spot. This would explain lack of energy there and also idea that some of matter collapsed right away in black hole after the Big Bang happened.

We can see the universe at two separate age categories. Firstly we can see the extinction of the fireball of hot hydrogen, as recombination occurred, 380,000 years ago. This is but a snapshot, a picture at a specific time. Then there was a 700 million year time period within which the stars and galaxies formed. During this time, the EM waves being given off were in the range of a few millimeter going shorter and shorter until they reached 50 microns at which point our far infrared cameras can begin picking them up, During this "dark age" is when galaxies originated. We can't see it happening, must wait for better instruments. We know what they looked like at 700 million years after the BB, but we don't know how they got there.

When we look at starlight of a star it is flux. And most stars have a steady flux and a steady intensity, it usually takes long time spans to note a change in intensity. Most stars are like this, there are some that do vary, but most do not.

When we look at a star field, it's like looking at a rarefied flux, we can see all the components. All the star points of light and they do not change intensity from day to day or week to week, even year to year, they do not change intensity or position. No change in pattern.

A star field is a set flux pattern. Because it's old and far away. Frozen flux.

Does the background radiation change pattern? Do we see a set pattern with it? Or is it a moving flux? Does it flicker? Do most stars and galaxies flicker?

Can we plot the same pattern day after day, week after week like stars? How long will the cold spot be there?

Have we seen any stars or galaxies disappear and reappear? Do we predict that?

If it's a moving flux.......it's local.

I notice the regions surrounding the “Cold spot”, and at least one other colder region, are warmer than average. This suggests some large scattering effect or odd lens effect. I’d bet money I’m wrong but looking for odd, or “funny”, is the heart of science.

Reactions: billslugg
I made a career of looking into oddities in a paper manufacturing process. Mulled one over, scratching my head, for 14 years before a light bulb went on, did some checking and bingo. Got a nice raise over that one.

I made a career of looking into oddities in a paper manufacturing process. Mulled one over, scratching my head, for 14 years before a light bulb went on, did some checking and bingo. Got a nice raise over that one.
Troubling problem solvers are worth more and more, especially as sophistication increases.

My brother-n-law skipped college and worked in foil laminations. His diligence in understanding how various compounds were affected by temperature at given processing rates made him invaluable to them. He keeps trying to fully retire but they keep needing him around the world to solve problems their folks can't.

I was called back in, 22 years after retirement, to fill in for COVID losses, running a machine in a department I used to be the manager. My new boss took me to my work station and asked if I knew anything about this equipment. I said, "Yes, I designed this in 1974." He said: "That was before my mother was born, I'm going to go ahead and give you a 'check off' on this one".