The gravitational wave background of the universe has been heard for the 1st time

The space.com report states: "In the new research, the "critical evidence" that betrays the source of the signals to be supermassive black holes is a unique pattern found in the arrival times of pulses from a galaxy-sized cosmic antenna of nearly 70 millisecond pulsars in the Milky Way, according to a consortium of astronomers known as The North American Nanohertz Observatory for Gravitational Waves (NANOGrav). Gravitational wave signals from black hole binaries overlap "like voices in a crowd" and result in an incessant hum that embeds as a unique pattern in the pulsar timing data, scientists say."

My observation. What? Just yesterday a report on SMBH, and comments show SMBH in BBT could be a real problem for the cosmology. Supermassive black holes grow surprisingly quickly, study suggests, https://forums.space.com/threads/su...ow-surprisingly-quickly-study-suggests.62025/

Reactions: Atlan0001
The space.com report states: "In the new research, the "critical evidence" that betrays the source of the signals to be supermassive black holes is a unique pattern found in the arrival times of pulses from a galaxy-sized cosmic antenna of nearly 70 millisecond pulsars in the Milky Way, according to a consortium of astronomers known as The North American Nanohertz Observatory for Gravitational Waves (NANOGrav). Gravitational wave signals from black hole binaries overlap "like voices in a crowd" and result in an incessant hum that embeds as a unique pattern in the pulsar timing data, scientists say."

My observation. What? Just yesterday a report on SMBH, and comments show SMBH in BBT could be a real problem for the cosmology. Supermassive black holes grow surprisingly quickly, study suggests, https://forums.space.com/threads/su...ow-surprisingly-quickly-study-suggests.62025/
I've got something I'm about to deal in elsewhere, Rod, that might be an interesting take on things, That is, if I can present the picture of modeling I've already done, properly?!

It seems JWST is finding all types of interesting cosmology stuff, that could be problems for BBT :) Here is another new report discussing SMBH in the early universe.

Webb identifies the earliest strands of the cosmic web, https://phys.org/news/2023-06-webb-earliest-strands-cosmic-web.html

My notes. The rapid formation of SMBH in the early universe in BB cosmology is very difficult to explain. From the phys.org report, "To form these supermassive black holes in such a short time, two criteria must be satisfied. First, you need to start growing from a massive 'seed' black hole. Second, even if this seed starts with a mass equivalent to a thousand Suns, it still needs to accrete a million times more matter at the maximum possible rate for its entire lifetime," explained Wang. "These unprecedented observations are providing important clues about how black holes are assembled.”

My note, it is apparent that SMBH so early in BB cosmology is an issue. The gas seen in the quasar with redshift 6.61 still contains metals, not metal free or pristine gas created by BBN, when CMBR appears as light, cosmic dark ages, or the gas said to evolve into Population III stars. Some of these reports on SMBHs suggest Population III stars 10,000 to 100,000 solar masses could be seeds for their origin, other models suggest *massive dark matter halos*.

ref - A SPectroscopic Survey of Biased Halos in the Reionization Era (ASPIRE): JWST Reveals a Filamentary Structure around a z = 6.61 Quasar, https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/accd6f, 29-June-2023. “1. Introduction Quasars, powered by accreting supermassive black holes (SMBHs) with masses of 10^8–10^10 M⊙, have been observed up to z = 7.6 (Bañados et al. 2018; Yang et al. 2020a; Wang et al. 2021), deep into the epoch of reionization (EoR). How these quasars formed within the first billion years after the Big Bang is one of the most important open questions in astrophysics. Cosmological simulations suggest that billion-solar-mass SMBHs in the EoR formed in massive dark matter halos (e.g., Di Matteo et al. 2005; Springel et al. 2005) and grew through cold flow accretion (e.g., Di Matteo et al. 2012) and/or merging with other gas-rich halos (e.g., Li et al. 2007)." "5. Summary In this work, we provide a brief overview of the JWST ASPIRE program, which will perform a legacy galaxy redshift survey in the fields of 25 reionization-era quasars using NIRCam/WFSS. From the early JWST observation of the field around the quasar J0305–3150, we discovered a filamentary structure traced by the quasar and 10 [O iii] emitters at z = 6.6. …We also found that the most massive SMBHs in cosmological simulations generally trace galaxy overdensities but with a large variance on the galaxy numbers. This suggests that deep observations of a large sample of quasars (e.g., the ASPIRE program) would be essential for a comprehensive understanding of the cosmic environment of the earliest SMBHs."

Jul 3, 2023
Visit site
The 3 million light-year-long structure is anchored by a luminous quasar—a galaxy with an active, supermassive black hole at its core. The team believes the filament will eventually evolve into a massive cluster of galaxies, much like the well-known Coma Cluster in the nearby universe.

Jul 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi
"To get these types of high amplitudes that we are seeing, we need fairly massive black holes, and they need to form binaries quite frequently and evolve quite efficiently," said Kelley.
OK we are seeing changes in the pulsar's frequencies, but if the cosmic antenna is really galaxy-sized, then the SMBH should be orbiting the Milky Way, and I think it would take its time and we should have noticed it. We are talking of huge SMBH but they must be swift and fast, it makes me dubt of this possibility.
May it be that the reason would be another than SMBHs moving? Perhaps black matter?
Thanks. Regards

Latest posts