Why astronomy remains relevant today

My observation about this article. Very interesting. Here is information I found missing on the development of natural philosophy and astronomy, even in the 7:49 minute video. From a source I use.

"At the heart of scientific enquiry is the faith that the world is orderly and behaves consistently from one day to the next.1 One might ask, however, how this belief arose. According to Peter Harrison, formerly Professor of Science and Religion at Oxford University, it was, in a large part, “the theologically informed assumption that there are laws of nature, promulgated by God and discoverable by human minds (emphasis added)”.2 Eminent Philosopher of Science Alfred North Whitehead would agree. He wrote: “My explanation is that the faith in the possibility of science, generated antecedently to the development of modern scientific theory, is an unconscious derivative from medieval theology.”3 Prior to the late medieval period, Greek philosophy dominated among the intellectual elite. However, around the 13th century onwards, there was a reaction against this by Christian theologians."

Copernicus, Tycho Brahe, Galileo, Kepler, and Newton fit this view in their pursuit of astronomy.

Very enjoyable articles to read; thank you. Some time ago, I found, Sagan's book "Cosmos" and its TV presentations a spur to read Astronomy texts, buy a telescope , view the night sky and to take courses. The one drawback I found was having enough time to due "justice" to my interest. I readily encourage Astronomers to popularize their work complete with the mathematics as a means to advance science learning and as a learning shortcut to share the wonderment of the Universe with those deprived by commitments and responsibilities.

Reactions: COLGeek and rod