Question Why can’t we go to Pluto?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Pearl: in a word YES.

As nebula just pointed out:
If we accept that using current technology, travel to Pluto would be in the realm of 9+ years (1 way). This would be a lifetime round trip close to 20 years and the logistics required for such a journey would be astronomical.
For reasons I have pointed out, these are minimum figures. Apart from someone wanting to spend more than 20 years of their lives (and risking not getting back anyway) the infrastructure of supplying their needs for this time are daunting. We are back to the good old SF food capsules just for a start. The rest you can work out for yourself.

Cat :)

Nov 13, 2020
Why can’t we go to Pluto?
To make what?
The return on the Moon, the exploration of Mars and the search of lifeforms in the subglacial seas of Europa and Enceladus are much more practical and interesting objectives.

Reactions: Catastrophe
Trevize, whilst I agree with these:
"The return on the Moon, the exploration of Mars and the search of lifeforms in the subglacial seas of Europa and Enceladus are much more practical and interesting objectives"
and leaving aside funding (which of course we cannot) there are interesting aspects to Pluto. The first dwarf planet to be discovered (but not yet classified as such) with 5 moons, including one of comparable size. Worth a look, but perhaps not at the price?

Cat :)

Nov 13, 2020
I wanted to point that we must first concentrate on nearer objiectives. OK, we have given a look to Pluto and it was amazing, but for now it's better to concentrate our efforts on nearer objectives.

Reactions: Catastrophe

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS