Why is Opportunity so fascinated with Endurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

caper

Why is Opportunity so fascinated with Endurance Crater? Isn't there a lot more roving that could be done?<br />I think Spirit is doing much more science? What your opinion?

S

spacechump

My opinion is you're forgetting what Endurance offers in terms of science already. Opportunity was the one that offered the first true evidence for possible seas at Eagle and has backed this up with data from Endurance. There is a lot around and in Endurace to look at so it's taking some time. Spirit had to rove around for its targets before finally stopping at the hills. In my opinion roving isn't science. Stopping and collecting data is science. Both are doing that. Spirit has just had to rove farther to find what it wanted. Anyhow Oppy is leaving the crater soon anyway.

J

JonClarke

If Opportunity heads to Victoria that is 5 km away. More than enough roving for anyone.<br /><br />Opportunity found what the mission went for. Spirit found what was there<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

<font color="yellow">"In my opinion roving isn't science. Stopping and collecting data is science." -- spacechump</font><br /><br />Good point.<br /><br />Both rovers have gathered fantastic new information on Mars. But it is Opportunity that has gathered the best information concerning Mars' watery past (the reason for the missions). And this data was mostly gathered from the two craters that Opportunity has visited: Eagle and Endurance. Endurance is a treasure chest, filled with science targets. And each target has revealed fantastic new information. <br /><br />How long do you kneel before an open treasure chest filling your pockets with riches before you leave it behind and go off in search of another treasure chest?<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

Not much longer I suspect. I have not seen any estimates of when Opportunity will leave Endurance, but i would guess maybe two to four weeks.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

F

fangsheath

I think it will be longer than that, although probably not long enough to suit me. I would like to see the rover take at least 2 more RAT series running up (or down) the stratigraphic profile of Endurance. I am a little uncomfortable with the dependence on a single series of RAT hole measurements in the Karatepe area. But I also understand the desire to try to get to the etched terrain. I think it will be at least a few more months before the vehicle exits Endurance. By that time insolation will be significantly improved.

M

marslauncher

In one of the latest Mission Manager reports, he actually said they would be leaving Endurance in about a week or so.<br /><br />

F

fangsheath

True, but this same flight director back in early August said that they were already leaving. His conception of leaving does not necessarily comport with everyone else's.

Status
Not open for further replies.