Why is the pm system so primitive at SDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smersh

I've been wondering about this for some while. Private messages here are not really very good atm.

You can't preview a pm before sending to see what it looks like and you can't quote from a pm you've received when replying to that pm - you have to copy / paste if you want to do that.

There have also been instances in which I viewed a pm just after I sent it, then the person I was sending it to said he got it SIX times (that might have been fixed now though, not sure.)

This is very odd, because at Larger Than Life (the site and board I'm an admin on with some friends) we have a much earlier version of phpBB than here at SDC and our pm's are just like posts in threads - you can preview before sending, quote in replies, include pictures etc etc.

Thanks.

D

doublehelix

Hi guys, one of the reasons the PM system looks a bit different and acts a bit different from the rest of phpBB is that we needed to connect it to our own profile system. We styled some things differently, and with our compressed timeline back in February, we had to pick and choose what to include and what not to include.

I will tell you that the PM system is slated to get an upgrade; when, it is not certain, and I apologize for not being able to give you a more exact timeframe. There are other things we want to do to enhance the community platform here, too, and when we have the time to dive into them, I'll let you all know. No timeline is set right now, but it is certainly in the plans. We have upgraded the PM system once since we relaunched, so I am confident that when I'm told we will upgrade again, it will happen!

Thanks for the feedback. I sent your post to the Product Manager, so she's aware. :mrgreen:

-dh

S

Smersh

Thanks a lot for the info DH and for your prompt reply. :)

N

nimbus

To date, I've had two PMs arrive blank. Seems like something's broken somewhere.

S

Smersh

Another thing I've noticed with pm's lately (since I started this thread) is that sometimes I get a message saying "3 new messages" (for example) when I've already read two of them - and this is even after I have refreshed the page so I'm not getting it from my cache.

As I said though, I've only noticed this over the last few days.

D

doublehelix

Smersh":14y448qt said:
Another thing I've noticed with pm's lately (since I started this thread) is that sometimes I get a message saying "3 new messages" (for example) when I've already read two of them - and this is even after I have refreshed the page so I'm not getting it from my cache.

As I said though, I've only noticed this over the last few days.

Hmmm... this is something I've not encountered before. Next time it happens (to you or anyone else), please post here and I'll forward it to the product manager.

-dh

S

Smersh

doublehelix":2tw6zny0 said:
Hmmm... this is something I've not encountered before. Next time it happens (to you or anyone else), please post here and I'll forward it to the product manager. -dh

It hasn't happened again sinced I mentioned it so far.

Here's something else that needs improving with pm's though. There needs to be navigation to get back to the message board with a direct link on the pm screen.

D

doublehelix

Smersh":c4jyi8ph said:
Here's something else that needs improving with pm's though. There needs to be navigation to get back to the message board with a direct link on the pm screen.

That's a good idea, Smersh. I'll suggest it.

-dh

S

Shpaget

345g1h4.png

D

doublehelix

Hmm... I thought he meant a link in the confirmation window, but that link to the Forums Shpaget points out is avaliable.

-dh

S

Smersh

Actually yes Shpaget that's exactly what I meant. Cheers. :lol: :oops:

That link hasn't always been there though, only the one to the community which is a different kettle of fish altogether. (At least, it doesn't take you straight to the forums.) I obviously didn't notice it has since been added at some stage - sorry bout that.

So thanks and forget it DH - problem already solved! (That one anyway, the other points about pm's are still outstanding of course.)

D

doublehelix

Thanks, Smersh! Glad this solution will work for you. :mrgreen:

Hey guys, can you respond in this thread and list what functionality you'd like in PMs? That way I can bring a nice list to the product manager for her information. Give me your pie-in-the-sky desires; I'm not guaranteeing they would all be met, but I'd like to see what interests you.

Muchas gracias,
-dh

M

MeteorWayne

For the Mods, I'd like to see a larger folder capacity. My sent folder is currently 213% full, but I am loath to delete them since they provide invaluable records of contacts with users.
MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts