Why waste our space waste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Perc

I'll state up front that my ignorance on many space matters is profound so bear that in mind when you reply!

I understand from other sources I have read that man-made space waste is a ever-increasing problem, to the point that it might even be a commercially viable one in the not-to-distant future. Would it be impractical (economically or physically) to have solar-powered or ion-drive powered robots moving around in Earth orbit nudging bits of junk to one of the Lagrange points where they would naturally collect when near enough? The concept could be likened to an orbital WALL-E.

Extending that concept, could space operators send things like external tanks and empty Progress supply capsules there as well instead of letting them burn up in our atmosphere? Maybe they could get financial credit for their offerings based on a blend of actual mass and composition of that mass.

Perc (Canberra)

M

MeteorWayne

Hi Perc and welcome to space.com.

Variations of this idea have been proposed for a while, except for the Lagrange point suggestion. More on that in a second.

The basic problem is, as it so often is in space matters... $$$$$$ (Fortunately you also have dollars "down there" so I can get away without trying to figure out how to make a Euro sign :) )

Who will pay for it? The answer so far is....nobody. Maybe someday if we ruin LEO, then it will be enough of a priority the spacefaring nations will see enough of a need to come up with the cash.

The Lagrange points idea isn't too good, though. First of all, they are pretty far away. Second, they are not really "stable" in the sense you think. They are also being populated with a number of spacecraft; having a bunch of junk floating around there just moves the pollution to a different spot. Objects at these points actually orbit about it, and require steering maneuvers to stay there. I think on the SOHO site there's a good description of what they do; I'll try and dig it up later when I have some spare time.

In reality, burning stuff up in the atmosphere is pretty efficient for stuff you don't need any more.

J

JeffreyNYA

I suppose if they are going to spend the money to get rid of all the junk, then why not build a orbital recycling plant. It really would be a shame to just waste all the raw materals. If it were possible to break things down enough, it would be small way to test manufacturing in space. Although a very very expensive way. Won't happen of course. But would be cool

P

Perc

I'm a hoarder and hate throwing stuff out if I can park it somewhere safe, so my idea was an extension of that, given that the mass is already up there. Would it be cheaper for a robot trash collector to push junk to part of the admittedly crowded geostationary orbit reserved just for junk reserved for future use?

V

vogon13

Nice to see someone thinking outside of the box,

however,

the Lagrange dump probably is not too practical. The L4 and L5 'points' aren't really points, they are quite large arc shaped areas. And we might want to keep them clean for future O'Neill style habitats.

Also, even with an ion drive, putting stuff there is energy intensive and 'nudging' is not quite the right term for the maneuver it would take to do that.

Also note that what ever launches this tug will release more space junk, and if and when the tug thing breaks, it becomes space junk too.

M

MeteorWayne

Perc":fg34zx36 said:
I'm a hoarder and hate throwing stuff out if I can park it somewhere safe, so my idea was an extension of that, given that the mass is already up there. Would it be cheaper for a robot trash collector to push junk to part of the admittedly crowded geostationary orbit reserved just for junk reserved for future use?

No, fraid not...putting it in at the geosync orbit height would endnager every spacecraft there. The point is, there really are no safe storage zones.

K

kelvinzero

I guess you would have to secure all these objects together.

Up till now it just hasnt been practical. Despite the huge cost of putting something into orbit, the cost of keeping it there is still so great that there is very little reuse.

Good news though, People are developing more efficient ways of keeping things in orbit, such as VASIMR, and these will extend the life and reuse of space technology for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts