Will it work? - PROTOTYPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nexium

Ordinary light has wave length between 400 nano meters and 670 nano meters. It is possible to generate the same wavelength but 180 degrees out of phase at one or several wave length, but equal brightness at various illuminated parts of the object is difficult if not imposable at different viewing angles. Multiple wave lengths, produce sum and different wave lengths that will not be phase shifted 180 degrees, so the object will appear dimmly lighted instead of invisable unless only one wave length of illumination is falling on the object. Neil

K

kmarinas86

The invisible must be see thru.<br /><br />Sorry, no see thru.

D

doubletruncation

The problem also is that most objects emit/scatter incoherent light (i.e. a superposition of waves at all sorts of phases and polarizations). If you had coherent light sources, like lasers, (and they remained coherent after the reflection) such a scheme might be possible. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

science_man

So are u saying it MIGHT work? <br /><br />I hope someone trys this out soon. It would be neat to see an object dim or even a little translucent.

S

science_man

What if there was a large amount of that "flash light" will EVERYTHING that you see be black?

S

science_man

Thanks Tigerbiten, now 1 more question... where can I find this "light beam" or "flash light"? Is there such thing as that "flash light"? <br /><br /><br />

S

science_man

What is that flash light in the diagram above? Where can I find it? <br /><br /><br />

A

agnau

It would have to be built specifically for the object, distance, and angle to optically darken the object. Making it invisible, as I assume the dashes mean, would be impossible with light sources.<br /><br />Transparency is due to the chemical and electro-magnetic properties of the object itself (which I do not think normal light will significantly change).

A

alek_a

It will work when the distance between the source and the object is <font color="yellow"> exactly </font>equal to integer numbers of the wavelength og the light. The wavelenght of light is typically in the 100s of nanometers. In order to accurately make distances of an integer of that lenght, you need micromachnining. This would typically involve a very complex lab and equipment that is beyond what one man can build.<br /><br />If you use constructive instead of distructive interference, you will have made a light resonator. These are the building block of any laser.<br /><br />As what is concerning your object: at these (micrometer) lenghtscales, there are no 'eyes' that can catch the light (at least not optical instruments). You will not be able to see the object even without the interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts