William Shatner Astronaut Wings from NASA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
I would like to start a petition to get William Shatner Astronaut wings from NASA. Name one person who other than the original Astronauts has done more to inspire generations of Americans to boldly go where no man has gone before. Until today he was just an actor for a roll but still he inspired! Today at 90, he showed us that our dreams are within reach, we just need to step into shoes of giants and leap into the great unknown.

If you like the idea please respond and maybe someone at Space.Com will talk Nasa into granting one of our great hero's some real wings!

Reactions: jsoliday
Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
Change.org is for the illiterate. I am looking for people who have their face to the heavens to get together and petition Nasa... In short those that honor the science of space and have a sense of adventure. Those here at space.com...

COLGeek

Just so you know, this site/community has no relationship with NASA.

I applaud your efforts, but we have no sway with them.

While Mr. Shatter is inspirational, I would not call him an astronaut. There is far more to that designation than taking a 10 minute ride.

Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
So by your measure there should be no astronauts. After all they all took the same ten minute ride. Computers run most of the show so a monkey could also do it.... Whatever.. There was no need for a moderator to even appear on this thread nor one that obviously has a bias against men going into space... I wanted only a single post to honor a man that inspired millions to look to the stars... A man who at 90 did what most of us will never do... took a ride into space risking life and limb to touch the stars... instead all replies are from haters... and even if you are not affiliated with NASA you still have a voice... pity its one full of disdain for a great adventure. Kill the thread... close it... whatever moderators do here... I for one will no longer come to a site so lacking vision as this...

COLGeek

No one is disparaging the accomplishment or event. Being a passenger on a 10-minute ride does not make an astronaut.

Inspirational? Yes. Maybe this will motivate others, and this is a good thing.

Your intent is honorable. However, astronauts would suggest there is more to their title than was performed yesterday. That is my only point.

By the way, I watched the entire event (live). It was awesome.

Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
So what amount of time makes one an astronaut?

Definition -

An astronaut (from the Greek "astron" (ἄστρον), meaning "star", and "nautes" (ναύτης), meaning "sailor") is a person trained, equipped, and deployed by a human spaceflight program to serve as a commander or crew member aboard a spacecraft. Although generally reserved for professional space travelers, the terms are sometimes applied to anyone who travels into space, including scientists, politicians, journalists and tourists

So based on this definition he earned his wings.

If he does not meet the definition then the term is meaningless. Simply put, all "Astronauts" have done the same ten minute ride. They did it at the beginning and end of their missions. Does performing monkey do tasks make you an astronaut? We have electricians who do the same thing on earth as they do in space, except they know how to change things out and do not have the benefit of 20 people telling the monkeys how to do it. How about plumbers? In space the monkey turns the screw that 20 people tell him / her to do. How about monitoring space experiments? Monkey see monkey do..

The point is this... It does not matter the time or task spent or performed in space. It is the getting to space that makes you into an astronaut. Shatner went into space "Astro", sailed in the heavens for ten minutes "nautes".

You might want to put more into this and say he was along for the ride, so do we strip away all but the pilot and co-pilot from the title of astronaut? Because... You know the others were just along for the "Ride".

We could go on and on... or more likely I could but in the end I was looking for opinions and it seems at least here I am the only one that sees this honorarium as being deserved by Shatner. I am jealous that he could go on that "Ride"... because I would do it and go to mars in a heartbeat if I could and while I would care less if you would call me an astronaut or not... I still would be because I sailed among the stars...

Better to be an inspiration to millions than a name no one even knows with the title ... Astronaut... Because if you asked people who Captain Kirk is most would say Shatner if you asked who Sally Ride is most would not even know... But you know she is an Astronaut because she went into space.... like Shatner...

Later.. Tater...

Well, he has done it and I haven't. So I would have no room to talk. He still took the risk, knowing what could happen. And at 90 years old. Even Chuck
Yeager wasn't able to do that, he wanted to but it never came about for him. And it should have. But he was passed over, so he shrugged it off and said he didn't want to be just a passenger anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts