Xenophobia has hit ESA as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shoogerbrugge

damn it........<br /><br />I believe protectionism is the latest trend in the world. Not only in normal trade, but now thus also in the space business. According to this article :<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>European ministers meeting at a two-day conference of the European Space Agency (ESA) have agreed to prioritise European satellite launchers over cheaper options in other countries, ESA officials told AFP on Tuesday. The decisions prove "the will and the desire to take Europe further" in space research, an area that has become "strategic", Dutch Economy Minister Laurens Jan Brinkhorst, told the press.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />My own minister doesn't seem to understand the meaning of strategic I think. He studied economics for heavens sake, he should understand that the ability to acces space is strategic. But that the launch business itself has become a mere commodity, to be bought from the <b>best</b> supplier determined by the <b>market.</b><br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>The European Space Agency had been seeking to persuade member states to give preference to Europe-produced launchers, rather than cheaper alternatives in Russia and India, in order to support technology developed on the continent. European operators will have recourse to non-European satellite launchers only if the price in Europe is more than 25 percent higher than an alternative elsewhere, or if their technical needs cannot be met in Europe, according to the principle accepted by ministers, official said. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Translation: "Lets set a public barrier, so our European launch supllier<b>s</b>, errr oh right one supplier EADS Space, can set a price, not determined by the market, but 25% higher then the cheapest option availeble." Which will lead EADS space to relax and stop looking for option to become more competa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts