12 upcoming science fiction movie remakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starsinmyeyes44

<p>http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2008/11/hollywood-back.html</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">The ones I haven't seen on this list are "The Illustrated Man" and "When Worlds Collide".</font></p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff00ff">In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back.<br /></font><strong>Charlie Brown</strong></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Duplicate thread.&nbsp; This was originally posted on Io9, and I posted it here just a few months ago. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

S

starsinmyeyes44

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Duplicate thread.&nbsp; This was originally posted on Io9, and I posted it here just a few months ago. <br />Posted by yevaud</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">Oops...sorry.</font><br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff00ff">In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back.<br /></font><strong>Charlie Brown</strong></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Since you had no idea, no need to apologize.&nbsp; These things happen, after all. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

W

weeman

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2008/11/hollywood-back.htmlThe ones I haven't seen on this list are "The Illustrated Man" and "When Worlds Collide".&nbsp; <br />Posted by starsinmyeyes44</DIV><br /><br />I've wondered lately what it might be like if they made a killer remake of the Neverending Story :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I've wondered lately what it might be like if they made a killer remake of the Neverending Story :) <br />Posted by weeman</DIV><br /><br />It wouldn't be a remake, but a new adaptation.&nbsp; Remakes of classic fims are pointless, new interpretations of novels and plays can be interesting, although all to often they depart even further from the original. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

D

docm

<p>IMO doing a remake of a classic film that itself was <em><strong>not</strong></em> a faithful adaptation of the original material is pointless <strong><em>UNLESS</em></strong> you&nbsp;make it faithful to the original source. </p><p>As such I think they erred in not making this version of TDTESS faithful to the original story "Farewell To The Master" (full online edition)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><span style="color:#333333;font-family:arial;font-size:12px;line-height:16px" class="Apple-style-span"><strong><span style="font-size:1.2em"><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">"Forbidden Planet"&nbsp;</span></span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Producer Silver is also behind a planned revival of this 1956 classic that gave a sci-fi twist to&nbsp;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Shakespeare&rsquo;s</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">&nbsp;&ldquo;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">The Tempest</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">&rdquo; and starred&nbsp;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Walter Pidgeon</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">,&nbsp;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Anne Francis</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">&nbsp;and&nbsp;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Leslie Nielsen</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">&nbsp;long before his career tilted toward comedy. It also introduced the world to&nbsp;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Robbie the Robot</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">, a machine man who would show in film and television shows for decades. At one point&nbsp;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">James Cameron</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">&nbsp;(&ldquo;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Titanic</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">,&rdquo; &ldquo;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Aliens</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">&rdquo;) had flirted with a &ldquo;Forbidden&rdquo; remake but right now it&rsquo;s not clear who will be directing. In October, it was announced that screenwriter&nbsp;</span><strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">J. Michael Straczynski (&ldquo;The Changeling&rdquo;)</span></strong><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">is on board.</span></span></p><p>I groaned at the sight of this. &nbsp;How can anyone improve upon a perfect film? &nbsp;Then I saw J. Michael Straczynski, the mastermind behind Babylon 5, was involved....maybe it won't be so bad!&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

<p><em>AintItCool</em> writer &ldquo;Beaks&rdquo; claims:</p><blockquote><p><em>&ldquo;We have additional info that indicates this is not so much a &ldquo;remake&rdquo; as a complementary piece to the Fred M. Wilcox/Cyril Hume classic.&rdquo;</em></p></blockquote><p>A sequel to the 1956 movie? Not so fast! According to J. Michael Straczynski himself:</p><blockquote><p><em>&ldquo;That report is totally incorrect. It&rsquo;s not going to be retro, and it&rsquo;s not going to be a continuation. When Altair 4 blows up, it blows up. I have, however, found a way to honor the original movie without in any way besmirching it in order to do this iteration. Once folks find out what we&rsquo;re actually going to do, I think they&rsquo;ll be most pleased. &lsquo;Forbidden Planet&rsquo; remains one of my favorite films of all time, and I wouldn&rsquo;t even think about doing this project if I didn&rsquo;t think there was a way to do it that would not in any way diminish the original&hellip;which is why this is the the first development in years to actually get to the script stage. Everybody involved is very excited by the approach.&rdquo;</em></p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>AintItCool writer &ldquo;Beaks&rdquo; claims:&ldquo;We have additional info that indicates this is not so much a &ldquo;remake&rdquo; as a complementary piece to the Fred M. Wilcox/Cyril Hume classic.&rdquo;A sequel to the 1956 movie? Not so fast! According to J. Michael Straczynski himself:&ldquo;That report is totally incorrect. It&rsquo;s not going to be retro, and it&rsquo;s not going to be a continuation. When Altair 4 blows up, it blows up. I have, however, found a way to honor the original movie without in any way besmirching it in order to do this iteration. Once folks find out what we&rsquo;re actually going to do, I think they&rsquo;ll be most pleased. &lsquo;Forbidden Planet&rsquo; remains one of my favorite films of all time, and I wouldn&rsquo;t even think about doing this project if I didn&rsquo;t think there was a way to do it that would not in any way diminish the original&hellip;which is why this is the the first development in years to actually get to the script stage. Everybody involved is very excited by the approach.&rdquo; <br />Posted by <strong>docm</strong></DIV><br /><br />I thought I had an idea as to what was "up" but I ran across this at the Wiki for FP ...</p><p><em>Straczynski explained the original was his favorite science fiction film, and gave Silver an idea for the new film which makes it "not a remake", "not a reimagining", and "not exactly a prequel". His vision for the film will not be retro, because when the original was made it was meant to be futuristic. Straczynski met with people working in </em><font color="#002bb8"><em>astrophysics</em></font><em>, </em><font color="#002bb8"><em>planetary geology</em></font><em> and </em><font color="#002bb8"><em>artificial intelligence</em></font><em> to reinterpret the Krell back-story.</em></p><p>So might we have the story leading up to the arrival of United Planets Cruiser <em>C-57D</em> ?&nbsp; But that would be a prequel (perhaps a good one though).&nbsp; I believe the original story line had the Krell visiting Earth when we humans were primitive.&nbsp; Perhaps that's the new story ?</p><p>And on another note (which is probably old news) I learned than Straczynski was working on a 'Lensman" movie project.&nbsp;Now there's a SF series which would play well on the movie screen !</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.