2009 Geminid Meteor Shower, Peak Dec 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Here's what I wrote for the NAMN. It's a bit technical, so feel free to ask any questions, and I'll also try and write a more casual observer version later today.

1. (GEM) Moon Free Geminids Highlight the Month

Another major shower meets the New Moon….almost. Technically, it occurs about 2 days after the Geminid peak, but since there are so many dark hours near the winter solstice, there will be plenty of time for anyone who wants to watch, and the thin crescent moon won’t be a problem anyway. The month is bracketed by two Full Moons, on the 2nd and 31st, which leaves the first week with lengthening evening hours, and the last week with waning morning hours without that big bulb in the sky.

The IMO gives the GEM peak time at Solar Longitude 262.2, or 0510 UT Dec 14 (midnight EST, 9PM Nov 13 PST) +/- 2.3 hours. Video data published in WGN 37:4 by Sirko Molau places the peak over the last decade or so at Solar Longitude 261.5, or about 1200 UT on the 13th. Each is supported by IMO preliminary visual data for the last few years, which has shown multiple peaks occurring between about 261.4 and 262.4. This would mean the best times would be the early morning of the 13th, and the entire night of the 13/14th for North America.

The video data shows a start date of Dec. 4th, a few days earlier than the standard IMO start date of the 7th. The shower ends crisply on the 17th using both sources.

In the Northern Hemisphere, where the nights are the longest the radiant rises a bit after sunset, and sets a few hours after sunrise. In the Southern Hemisphere, while the radiant rises later, since the sun sets later as well, most of the observing window is dark. No matter where you are, the radiant reaches its maximum elevation (transit) close to 2 AM local time, almost perfect for a long night of meteor viewing. With the projected peak between midnight and 2 AM for the EST time zone, the best rates could occur along the east coast, but even in the west, the radiant will be at least 30 degrees above the horizon (producing rates about half of the ZHR under very dark skies) with the rising radiant compensating for the falling ZHR. Remember, though, showers can always provide surprises in timing and rates; the only way to now for sure is to watch!

The radiant is not far from Castor (actually a bit to the west near +4.2 magnitude rho Gem) so is easy to find. The Geminids are also an excellent shower for photographic methods. The slower velocity (about 35 km/sec compared to Leonid speeds twice as fast) allows more photons to fall on a given piece of film or on the CCD pixels, and the much higher rate for North America should give plenty more opportunities to capture one.

M

MeteorWayne

The parent object for the Geminids is asteroid 3200 Phaethon. The fact that the shower exists indicates that it likely was a comet in the distant past (Although there are other theories), but has had it's volitiles (ices) baked out by repeated close approaches to the sun. And I do mean close...the perihelion is only 0.14 AU, much closer than Mercury's 0.31 AU. This means the surface temperature may reach 750 C, hot enough to sinter and/or melt the meteoroids.

The Geminids may have been seen in the early 1800s, but the first reliable report is from 1861. The ZHR (shower rate) has been increasing ever since then, reaching rates higher than any other annual shower (except for outbursts of the other showers) of ~ 140 per hour.

Since the meteoroids (and Phaethon) orbit the sun in the same direction as the earth, they hit the atmosphere at a slower speed than any other major shower. This is abour 35 km/sec (22 miles/sec) compared to 71 km/sec (44 miles/sec) for the famous Leonids. This makes them last longer in the sky, but cuts down on the number of long lasting trails and trains that faster shower produce.

MW

A

andrew_t1000

A question for Wayne!
How big are these meteors we see?
Or put another way, what is the minimum size that makes a visible streak?

I have spare batteries this time! No running out of battery around 3am like happened with the Leonids!

M

MeteorWayne

Pretty small, though a big dfference between the Leonids and Geminids.

The Energy formula is 1/2X m*v^2, so for a given brightness, a Geminid is 4 times the mass of a Leonid. While sand grains can make a bright Leonid, it might be invisible at the Geminids lower velocity.

I'll try and find the formula for Geminid sizes and masses. It's in one of my reference books.

Remember, batteries don't like cold!! :)

A

andrew_t1000

The weather next week should be in the mid 30's! (Celsius)
Spring was kinda weird here, during the Leonids we had mid 40's!(celsius)
So it nighttime temperatures were not only pleasant, but a welcome relief!

M

MeteorWayne

LOL, well the temp here should be about 0 C +/- a few degrees :)

A

andrew_t1000

This morning, around 5am, I saw a beautiful meteorite trail.
The sun was just about to rise, most of the fainter stars were gone, but this trail was quite distinct, if a little washed out.
It came out of the north east heading south west.
I went outside to, umm, "water the horse" so to speak!
All this week I have seen quite a few meteors, after 2am, most of them coming from the East to South East.
Is the Geminid cloud quite big?
I can't wait for the peak!
When you say the 14th, is that the 13th or 15th here in Australia?

If I'm going to be watching it anyway, are there any useful observations I can make?
Where would I report them?

M

MeteorWayne

At that hour a Geminid wouldn't have been coming from the east, just FYI.

The Geminid rate for the night would be highest around 2 AM every night, so that would explain what you have seen during the week.

Just a tecnicality BTW, in space it's a meteoroid, in the sky it's a meteor, and it's only a meteorite when a piece makes it to the ground :) That doesn't happen with meteor shower meteors.

As for the peak time in Australia, umm would be late afternoon on the 14th, so you would likely have best rates on the morning of the 14th and 15th. If you give me the nearest large town I can find on my atlas, I can give you the time the radiant rises, etc.

I often like to stand outside if I wake up and need to "apply a little liquid fertilizer to the lawn" ;) and just look at the sky, assuming I'm not already up meteor observing :)

If you'd interested in doing some scientific meteor observing, a good intro in the NAMN (North American Meteor Network)Observing Guide here:

http://www.namnmeteors.org/

You can report your observations to the NAMN. No worries mate, we have observers from Australia as well, we don't discriminate :lol: When you've got the technique down a bit, you can then submit your observations to the International Meteor Organization. Observations that are reported to the NAMN that have the required information are also forwarded to the IMO for you.

MW

M

MeteorWayne

BTW, so far only 3 observers have reported data using the IMO online form. One from Germany (IMO President Jurgen Rendtel), one from the US, and 1 from AUSTRALIA!! :)

I hope to add to the list tonight, though it will probably be a short session since the temp is forecast to be about 15 degrees F (- 10 C) with heavy duty winds gusting up to 40 mph. That's life endangering conditions, so I'll have to pick my times carefully.

M

MeteorWayne

At last, a clear night for me. Cold (temp 24 -> 20 F, ~ -5C), but winds were light so I lasted 4.2 hours. Finally driven in by cold (frozen) toes; bad planning on my part, forgot to double sock :(

Counted 56 total meteors (13.3/Hr), 37 were Geminids (5.9/Hr) Shower peaks Monday morning. Most spectacular was a magnitude -5 (Venus brightness) yellow-orange Northern Taurid fireball which fragmented into dozens of pieces as it swept below Gemini toward the SE horizon at 2:47 AM. Happened to be recording data at the time, my instantaneous reaction has made that tape unsafe for family listening! :)

MW

R

ryan8477

hey Wayne!
i go to umass lowell and i was wondering if you new any good places to watch the meteor shower?
me and all my friends were going to watch it monday night... i am willing to travel pretty far. do you think cape cod would be good? or any good places in New Hampshire?
thanks!

M

MeteorWayne

First the peak is Sunday night/Monday morning for you (and I in NJ)...if the weather cooperates of course. The clear sky clock for the northeast indicates good conditions may develop after midnight Sunday/Monday.

I have a friend who used to live up there who would probably have some ideas...but he's incommunicado in Australia right now.

Based on this Light Pollution Map (Man, you are really eye deep in LP there in Lowell!) here centered on Billerica, it looks like the shortest distance to dark skies is NW into New Hampshire.

http://cleardarksky.com/lp/AtrNgObMAlp. ... =astronomy

Theres a place in NH called Woodland Observatory which looks like a good direction and range. I might suggest contacting the New Hamphire Astronomical Society for recommendations. Good Luck!!

Wayne

M

MeteorWayne

It's only based on one observer in Japan, but Geminid Raes appear to be rapidly ramping up. About 18 hours ago the eastern US ZHR was 15-20, the (again only single observer) ZHR in Japan about 6 hours ago is reported to be close to 70.

MW

A

andrew_t1000

It's been a bust so far!
Total cloud cover last 2 nights (sunday & saturday)
Tonight is looking good though!
29C max today, with 14C min tonight. No cloud cover and the satellite map looks great!
Waiting for a NOAH or Meteor to pass over and get a "real time" cloud picture!
Moonrise is at 4:27am.

Confidence is high!

M

MeteorWayne

The moon's not really a factor (other than a very cool sight) today. When I leave the observatory in the morning, I use the route that takes me down the hill so I face the east and can see the very thin (only 4% illuminated), though from here it's rising quite far in the northeast, so I have to bend my neck. Not always easy after 6 hours of sitting still in 0 C weather :) You should here the noises and whining when I stand up after all that time in my observing lounge chair :roll:

M

MeteorWayne

Well, here was my peak morning in NJ:

Waited for clouds to clear as scheduled around midnight, which they did about an hour later; saw one GEM while checking sky status for 15 seconds. Got dressed and went up to the observatory, saw 3 GEM in 2 mins while I was getting set up. Went on the clock at 1:42 AM local time, skies were fantastically clear; probably one of the 10 best ever for me here in NJ. But counted only 2 Geminids during my entire observing session...which lasted exactly 80 seconds, or 0.022 Hrs Teff, before clouds rapidly rolled in from the north. Since I never completed my LM count, I felt the statistical validity of the session was not worth reporting {insert sarcasm here}. So I spent the next 5 hours in the sleeping bag waiting for the clearing that never came. Fortunately it was about 34 degrees F (+1 C), so I wasn't terribly uncomfortable, but very disappointed. Oh well :-(

C

crazyeddie

Got rained out here in San Diego. the skies cleared just in time for the sun to come up! :(

S

Solifugae

Is it possible for mountain sized rocks to be among the Geminids?

M

MeteorWayne

Anything is possible, but I'm not aware of any reports throughout history of extreme fireballs from the Geminids.

S

Solifugae

What I mean is: can we make an assessment as to the likelihood based on what we have discovered about the Geminids, or are we really in the dark about this?

They all seem to be small in size for some reason.

M

MeteorWayne

That is because meteor showers come from comets, and are the ejected dust and small particles. Larger pieces in cometary meteoroid streams would require a breakup of the parent object...then a house sized piece would form it's own comet, being contructed of the same ice/dust/gravel/rock mix. There is one Near Earth Comet that did that, 3D/Biela, which broke up and was never seen again. However in succeeding passages where the comet would have been near the earth, spectacular meteor storms were observed (The Andromedids). A very weak remnant of that shower is still observed today, but the core of the stream has moved far away from earth's orbit, so rates are low; I've only seen 3 in 10 hours during the last 2 years.

SO it is very unlikely there are large comet pieces in any meteor shower stream, with the exception of the possible Taurids and other antihelion ecliptic streams. This is material that orbits the sun like asteroids do, and there may be some small rocks in there, whether they are related to the specific shower or not. The -5 Northjern Taurid I saw the other morning was probably about 10 cm (4 inches) in diameter.

With where asteroid searches are progressing, objects of mountain size that are in a meteor stream that comes close to the earth would porobably be detected as it passed nearby. With the new PanStarrs search program coming online, and WISE's infrared eyes, we will get even a better feel for what's out there in that size range.

M

MeteorWayne

Now that we are on the other side of the peak, we can look at how the early returns are coming in. So far, it appears the peak may have occurred closer to the earlier time I mentioned in the OP which was suggested by video data over the last decade, and is close to the first of the double peaks that I wrote about as well. This would be about 9 hours earlier than the standard time (and it goes without saying, daytime for me in the US...Murphy's Meteor Law strikes again)

It is early, but with data through 22:30 UT (20 minutes ago) with 2065 Geminids reported in 299 intervals from 36 observers in 15 countries....

The peak ZHR is about 151 +/-13 at 20:41 UT Dec 13th +/- ~ 1h. Again, thousands of more Geminids will be reported so both the timing and peak rate will change as more data is received. This is just an early indication.

The second peak time (IMO predicted 05:10 UT Dec 14) hasn't had enough reports yet for a firm hint of what happened the, currently there's a minimum at that time of ZHR 78.

S

Space_Goose

Well I didn't take the time to read all the posts on this topic but I just wanted to say that I was walking home from party on the night of the 14th and I counted over 25 shooting stars during my 10 to 15 minute walk home. I said to my self, "I wonder if anyone knew there was going to be a meteor shower tonight. Nice to get confirmation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts